Quick dual port question

On the left side of my Type 1 1600 Dual port engine, just before the manifold on the left side curves down and goes into the engine ports, there is a little capped tube sticking out. Sticks right out of the metal. It looks to be a vacuum intake of some type. It's capped, but the rubber is cracked and leaking. I'm replacing the cap. Two questions.

1) What is it?

2) Could the current cap (leaking like a sieve) be what is causing my engine to stumble when giving it some gas after its warmed up.

Really guys, thanks for all the help!!!

Still working on my PhD in Aircooled, John

Reply to
Jakalope

Yep, a vacuum leak there will cause all sorts of problems.

That vac port wasn't used on your car but that same casting was also used on Type 2 engines where a vac takeoff was needed for the brake servo.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim,

Thanks for all your help. I don't know what I would do w/o you and the other great folks on this group. I know I ask A LOT of questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help.

John

Reply to
Jakalope

Hello there,

I have a stock 71 bus and keep blowing the last fuse on the right (the right most of the 12 fuses). Also, when I turn on the hazzard lights the fifth from right blows as well. Everything else is good as far as electrical goes.

The fuse on the right only blows when I turn on the RIGHT turn signal (not the left). I figure someone out there has had this problem and could offer some advice. Since the hazzards flash the same bulb as the right signal I figure they must be related.

Thanks,

Reply to
cavemanillustrations

We have two '71 type 2's We love 'em. I would look into the brake lite system. they share the same filament. I believe the decision to which system lites the bulb is made in the directional control on the steering wheel. You have a short . a connection to ground that shouldn't be. Try to eliminate parts of the circuit and see if you still are grounded. Use a continuity checker or just wrap an old fuse in aluminum foil to see if it blows.

and find Speedy Jim, he has a web site that might help.

and Good Luck. I hate electrical problems.

g.

Reply to
ITMFA