72 Super Beetle keeps breaking speedo cables..Help!

Folks,

This one is mind blowing, and frustrating.

Here is the situation. The car used to break one about once a year. Recently the speedo stopped working, and i investigated, and found that the bearing nut (the one with the hex key head) had came loose, and thus broke the cable. I inspected the bearing and tightened back up, and put in new cable. It lasted 2 days. Then I mail ordered 2 other cables, put one on, it lasted one week. The only thing i can think of is that maybe on the super, there is a certain hole the cable is suppossed to go thru on the bottom of the car .....it is obvious where it goes thru by the gas tank, but it seems that it just sort of dangles there before you push it thru the spindle..........any ideas?

Reply to
vgonman