72 super.. dash brake light on all the time

Hello,

I was fixing the little things on my new to me 72 super, making the fan work, hooking up the brake light in the dash, replacing glovebox and the headlight switch....

Foound that now the brake light on the dash is all the time. Wiring to the dash light is correct............what to test?

Reply to
Vanagon Man

On '72 cars, the light comes on when the key is turned ON. This was done to test the bulb. It should go off when the Gen starts charging.

If still lit with Gen charging, then one of the Stop Light switches is probably bad. Another possibility is severe corrosion inside the plug(s) for those switches. To see it you have to peel the rubber booties back .

Details of the switch wiring on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

"Vanagon Man" wrote in news:c6pfqi$dim1r$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-149037.news.uni-berlin.de:

Hmm... Light was off... You wired the light up... Now the light is on all the time... Brakes working fine... Hmmm... Not sure. I'd cut the wire. Maybe the PO "unwired it" because the brakes were working ok and he got tired of looking at the light. Either that or you wired it up wrong. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Thanks jim. I will check tomorrow.

Shaggie, I am trying to get all working right. I figure the PO may have removed the wire.and here was this hot wire dangling in the trunk! Also same PO rigged horn and license plate light instead of tracing the wiring diagram and doing it right......

On the lighter side, i have my fasten seat belts light working! When i start the car, the light is on, and when i fasten the seat belt it goes out........Cool!

Reply to
Vanagon Man

Could be that the switch itself failed. That switch has a test feature where you can push it in and it will light. Try pushing lightly on it a few times to see if it was stuck. Jim Schield

Reply to
JSchield

Not the case with this switch.they changed them for 72 model year. Looks the same as the earlier ones though.................

Reply to
Vanagon Man