73 vw engine in a 71 bus

will this work?

bolt holes on tranny are same, so is the engine mount on the rear of the engine.

Jen

Reply to
jboothbee

I read that a modification may need to be made to clutch?

the tranny in the 73 is the same as in the 71...

If brackets need to be made, I have a milling machine, lathe, bandsaw, grinders, drillpress, arc welder....

also need to figure out how to get the tin to seal to the engine compartment.

Jen

Reply to
jboothbee

Reply to
D&LBusch

The clutch is probably OK. Your '73 engine (Beetle, I assume) should have a pressure plate withOUT a thrust ring. That will match the '71 Bus tranny which should have a "guide tube" for the throwout bearing. Pics on my web site under "6V/12V Conversion". You're not doing a conversion; but the pics are there...

You DO need a rear mount bracket for the engine. You can either drill and tap the cast bosses in the '73 engine or buy an aftermarket "cheater" bracket that mounts on the oil pump studs (frowned upon).

If the Bus has to "look" perfect, there is tinware available from Mexico and Europe which fits a 1600 into a Bay,.

have them.

Or......for the cheapo job, buy a hunk of aluminum siding material or galv heating duct sheet. Make a pattern and cut to fit. Sheet metal screws to attach. Very important that every inch be sealed.

Need a vacuum tap on the manifold for the brake booster.

Maybe some rewiring of the charging system.

And a shorty air cleaner.

Reply to
Speedy Jim