'78 convertible in Chicago suburbs.

For the past few years there's been a vacated car dealership that had a '78 convertible and an army jeep in the old showroom a handful of miles from where I lived. Never knew who owned the building and I couldn't get closer to the car to examine it, but from a distance it seemed a pretty well preserved example.

About 9 months ago it dissappeared and I thought it'd been sold.. until yesterday when I saw it parked out in front of a Jeep dealership a mile or so up the same road. First only caught it out the corner of my eye, coulda swore I saw it being offered at $1900. I wasn't too surprised when I went back to look at it and saw, instead, they were asking $11,900.

Put it well out of my price range, even though I've wanted a bug convertible for quite a long time. I snapped a few photos and thought I'd post them in case there's anyone out there that might be interested:

I couldn't find anyone that knew the history of the car, but the sales guy I talked to said he "thinks" the car is "all original". I have my doubts, weather stripping looks new and some of the engine tin is completely devoid of grime, and the bonnet doesn't sit completely flush with the frame. Exterior paint is pretty good, are some scuffs on the interior paint though.

Wasn't any serious rust visible, was a few spots on the pans showing through and some reddish dings on the body work where it curls around near the ground.

Vehicle is located in Wheaton, Illinois, on Roosevelt a bit east of Naperville Road.

Reply to
sether

The cosmetics are good. A typical situation means an engine replacement/rebuild, brake work, maybe some electrics so add another $3,000. Does it still look like a good deal?

For the rest - the vehicle is in a relatively prosperous area where values are naturally inflated.

Reply to
2

That's a funny coincidence for me -- I was in Downer's Grove IL on business last week and I think I saw that bug when looking for a place to eat. Was wondering what the story was, because it looked pretty clean from the road..

Reply to
Remco