accelerate unintentionally after changed mass air flow sensor

Hi, My 2000VW Golf (2.0) showed a "check engine" signal. Have it repaired by a dealer two weeks ago. Fortunately it is still under warranty. The mass air flow sensor was changed. Since then, there is unpredictable speedup when I drive it. It seems like that the engine accelates suddenly for one or half second when dirven at 40km/hr. Then it goes back to normal. It happened twice in 10 km when I drove it to home after it was repaired. It did not decrease after two weeks.

I am a new drive. It is difficult to illustrate this problem to the dealer because it does not happen all the time. Is there any expert who can give me some idea what the problem is and how I can deal with that?

Thank you very much.

James snipped-for-privacy@interchange.ubc.ca

Reply to
James

You might want to ask in the watercooled group.

Cheers, Walt

Reply to
WJ

Or, if all the unnecessary electrical gizmos of the watercooled care keep you puzzled and in misery, go ahead and turn over to the... bright side of life. Get an aircooled VW.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

We are very friendly here. Please don't go. Wait -- come back. We are not finished being very friendly.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

For some reason that made me think of "Mars Attacks" (We come in peace!)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Sounds like the dealer replaced your mass airflow sensor with a faulty unit. Take it back, and don't settle until they fix it! There could also be some other faulty sensors, like the the throttle position sensor, RPM/TDC sensor, and several others that may not be sending a code to the check engine light becuase it only malfunctions for a second before the computer corrects the problem.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Thank Anthony and others help. I will take the car back to dealer.

I apologize to have posted it here. I did not know that my car is watercooled one.

Thank every one for your help and/or caution.

James

Reply to
James

Not to be rude but.....how could you not know you Jetta was watercooled?

Reply to
Exille

I've got a Jetta in my garage right now... Might have to take it out tomorrow and see what it can do... *rubs hands together evilly*

Reply to
Shaggie

Uh oh....this can't be good. ;-)

~Anthony