Alternative Distributors to the Bosch 009

If this helps anyone, this is my setup so far. I was playing with it today. Exhaust is merged headers with dual quiet pac mufflers. Stock

1600 on the inside (no cam, piston, stroke or head mods) for this engine.

DFEV: #60 primary idle jet

Mallory #4754101: pink/grey centrifugal springs advance limit set @ 18 degrees vacuum limit open all the way initial advance @ 14 degrees.

The bog is nearly gone. Some people have said that the long runner length of the manifold is the big factor in the DFEV bog problem. Weber doesn't make a larger accelerator pump jet than the #50 it came with, supposedly.

Low-end torque just off the clutch is still a problem for me and even with the all the quick advance from the light pink/grey combo, its on the edge of pinging doing a hill start.

NEED LARGER ACCERATOR PUMP JET ;) I want to drop to a #55 pri. idle jet, but all the bog comes back. O2 sensor says the steady state mixture is rich in the primary jet range, yet, opening the throttle, it leans out (THE BOG!).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I need more accelerator pump action, yes?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

On Sat, 01 May 2004 14:58:25 -0700, David Gravereaux ran around screaming and yelling:

sounds that way..if they don't make the jet, get some jet drills and make it yourself.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Are you running this?

On what size engine?

Goooood luck. If you got it from aircooled.net, ask John C. Frankly, I don't think they work worth a damn except at high RPM and WFO. But maybe someone can show me a streetable stocker running this carb ... and getting good mileage.

Reply to
jjs

Yes, and NO. That photo is wrong, but the description for it is what I have.

1600cc, bone stock innards.

I'm tossing the engine in a couple weeks anyways. I gave up on it 6 months ago for the oil pressure (lack of) problems the case has. I'm not going to rebuild it again.

In the meantime, I still like tinkering around with it just as an experiment.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Okay, different carbs.

That's trouble.

Exerimenting is good. Best of luck. Seriously.

Reply to
jjs

Before you bump the pump jet, check the float level and fuel pressure (3-3.5psi). If the float level is too low (too large a #) it will also do this.

95% of weber "jetting problems" are due to the wrong float level and/or fuel pressure. you MUST do these 2 before touching the jets.

john Aircooled.Net >

Reply to
John Connolly

Pressure should be good, although I'm assuming it. I never did find an accurate 1/8" NPT mini pressure gauge. Those 15 psi ones are way off down @ 3. The pump is a carter 3.5 psi electric rotary.

I never did check the float level.. "weber tech manual" says 41mm from upper surface cover with 10mm more hang (stroke). I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks John.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Sears sells a combo vac/pressure gauge that you T into the fuel line, for $19.95. Buy it and keep it in the toolbox, it's the same one I use. More then 3.5psi and you are wasting your time with weber tuning; aim for

3-3.5psi. I have seen the stock pump put out 13psi.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

I checked the float level and was a perfect 41mm. Fuel pressure is unknown, I'll get a gauge. Assuming the 3.5psi carter pump is putting out

3.5psi is not a bad assumption for the moment.

I swapped the #137 primary main jet for a #132 as I knew it was rich on the main jet. My o2 sensor needs replacing, it stopped working a few weeks ago, so I can't verify the jet change.

The dark side took over me and I drilled the accel jet out a bit. It's a #55, and from what I remember means a 0.55mm opening. Its just wee bit larger now. I didn't go crazy on it.

I'm still messing with timing (springs and vac limit), and I'm getting closer to perfect. I'll try the grey/grey springs next.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

what is the idle timing?

John