Bait & switch at Vee Dub parts Unlimited

Months ago I ordered some tires at the price in the latest "Hot VW's mag. and they said that was the "old" prices and they up-date the ad's every
three months. I said that the old prices has been around 4 months , and then they said the "reserve the right to change prices w/o notice." Isn't that the old "bait and switch" method to get you?? should we expose such practices ?
--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.

I think if you look at a lot of the ads in the magazine you'll find a similar disclaimer, albeit in pretty small print. Some of them will say "prices supercede all other ads" or something like that. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it, though it does suck about three month lead time with the magazines publication and all, as these kinds of issues will come up from time to time. I would think they'd honor the price if they would want to keep your business.
Threaten to tell your local VW club about not working with them if they do not honor the prior price. If they don't, tell everyone and don't ever use them.
--
DAN MEDINA
"A Veteran" < snipped-for-privacy@humboldt1.com> wrote in message

thats kinda like businesses over charging for service and not delivering
On Dec 21, 5:55 am, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

a few things to keep in mind.
1) there could be a printing error (hence the price change w/o notice) you wouldn't want to sell something that is supposed to be 119.99 for 11.99
2) magazines get printed 2-3 months in advance before they hit the shelves. So when you put your ad in there, could be 4-5 months before somebody will see it. Now keeping same prices for 3 months is not so bad.
3) everybody has to eat, so gotta be profitable otherwise it's bye bye.
It's not like somebody is holding a gun to your head when you call them and forcing you to buy stuff. Look for other places. Most of the time prices come out pretty even. If not then part you are looking at is different quality. Some places offer free shipping on orders over certain amount. Shop around. ;)
Anton
A Veteran wrote:

As long as they tell you the price before you complete the transaction I see no problem. Price do fluctuate and there is a lead time associated with getting advertising artwork submitted to a magazine before printing. An ad in a magazine is not a type of binding contract. They have the right to change prices and you have the right not to buy the item at the new price. I just don't see an issue here.
Leopold Stotch wrote:

Yeah, national mags have different laws and whatnot. most states have anti bait-and-switch laws "truth in advertising' to prevent this sort of thing. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
whitefordtruck wrote:

All you got to do is tell them to F**k themselves if you don't like the deal. I don't see the problem here. God, have we all turned into such bed wetting children that we think we need to call in the Feds to protect us from every little thing? If you don't like the deal, don't buy the merchandise. It's not like they got a gun to your head. Grow a pair and hang up the phone if you don't like the price.

What!?! Mother Government isn't going to take care of me, feed me, cloth me, and provide me free healthcare? But didn't we all sign a contract in blood surrendering all of our rights - give up our freedoms to be safe? Oh, the big bad nasties out there won't hurt us and everything will be safe! Don't taunt our glorious Mother Government! Or are you an enemy combatant!?! Aren't your of the Body?!? LANDRU, an unbeliever is in our midst!
KWW (sarcasm not aimed at any thread participants.... just at the IDEA of the Feds protecting us.)
Well, it just sucks. They got your hopes up, and would also madden me. To me, this is just a minor infraction. A change in price, where you had the choice to decide. I'd consider a bait and switch, selling a Goodyear tire, but unknowingly recieving a Walmart Cooper tire.

Actually, that would be either a mistake or outright fraud to swap tires like that.
Bait and switch is to advertise one item but to either be "sold out" or make excuses why they can't buy the item in question... and instead sell them another item that is either higher priced or of less value for the $$. KWW