Bob Hoover "Sermons" CD

I'm sure this has been asked here before, but is there any possibility of Mr. Hoover once again making the CD of his "sermons" available? I just read the "Tulz" series and would really like to read the rest of his writings and have heard that they were once all available on CD fom Bus Depot. I understand there were some issues with people publishing some of the articles without proper credit, or modified without Mr. Hoover's consent, but just was wondering if perhaps this could be alleviated by making the CD available again but with some sort of "End User License Agreement" of some sort, e.g. the license one has to agree to when installing software. Maybe some sort of agreement on the package that states that by opening the package containing the CD one agrees to not violate the Intellectual Property rights of Mr. Hoover, etc. Just a thought.

If this is not really an option, does anyone know where these articles are archived? Thanks!

Tom

Reply to
rbl2dnd

No, there isn't.

The problem is that a CD is too easy to steal. After devoting several months to the revision and conducting a marketing trial of the supposedly copy-protected disk (ie, the one having the desert scene on the disk and jewel-case insert), it took less than a month for copies to appear.

I've given some thought to making the material available as an illustrated, print-on-demand book but given the steady decline in the number of air-cooled Volkswagens I suspect even that would be wasted effort.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

That's a shame. The "Tulz" series, and the few articles I've been able to find archived on-line make for great reading. I wish it was possible to re-issue the CD or make the full set available via password protected PDF, print-on-demand, or some such other way that allowed distribution while also protecting your IP rights, but suppose there really isn't any way to guarantee that someone won't find a way to circumvent anything that is put in place and thus can understand your concerns. Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
rbl2dnd

I'm glad you found them useful since that was the original intent behind their creation and posting. But when that effort is not respected it removes any incentive to share such information.

The point here that most will miss is that while the Internet fosters the compilation of information, mediocrity is incapable of rising above itself. Record the information from a thousand inexperienced mechanics and the net sum still equals inexperience.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

I asked for and received some donations for some of my detailed procedures I put up on my website for how to modify (less-than-professionally) a Warrior motorcycle. I let that go on a few months and then decided to quit asking for money for it and instead now I'm somehow surviving with only money I get from my day job and I continue to share the motorcycle stuff for free. Makes the sharing that much more fun. I mean that's what "sharing" is, right? You don't get paid to "share" last time I checked. But that's "how I roll." (inside joke) hahaha! (pretty funny inside joke, actually) Not everybody "rolls that way." I could never take myself as seriously as some people take themselves.

snipped-for-privacy@isp.com wrote:

Reply to
Shag

I'm the same way with info on motorcycle charging system diagnostics. I put as much info as I can on my FAQ page and I answer any and all questions even if the person asking is not likely to be customer.

T> I asked for and received some donations for some of my detailed

Reply to
Anthony W

Right. If someone wants to make money off of what they write, they should publish a book like everyone else does. If the book is worth a crap then it will sell. If it's not then it won't. That's life. Everyone has to deal with it. Some people think they are special and that they shouldn't have to deal with it, but apparently they're finding out differently. End of story. At least... until the book comes out. I'm not holding my breath.

Anth> I'm the same way with info on motorcycle charging system diagnostics. I

Reply to
Shag

.............Publish it anyway Bob. You might be surpised at the response. Both in the numbers of buyers and how much they'd pay.

.........I agree that the ACVW enthusiast numbers are dwindling. But look at it this way: Those of us who are still driving aircooled VW's are probably on average more mature and prosperous than many of those brain dead 'kiddies' who were dominating the hobby ten years ago.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Those of us who are still driving aircooled VW's are probably

screw you asshat.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'd buy a copy. It would be nice to have a book that's better than the crap from Saint Muir.

More like 20 years ago. Some if not most of us mature Airheads used to be those brain dead kiddies.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

............I haven't been truly brain dead since the 70's.

Hah!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

ESADMF

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

OK then, 30 years... ;o)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

My thoughts exactly :) Some of us matured and grew a brain, and bought a ToyHonNisWhatever. Some of us didn't ;)

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

Consume Exrement And Expire, Maternally Oriented Fornicator?

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

In my case the Bug I had as a brain dead teenager was almost unsaveable. The engine was trashed and the pan was rusted out. The Baja kit was poorly installed and while all this could have been dealt with, I was at least smart enough to know that I was over my head in the project. I traded the body for an old 250 Ducati and I got $35 for the basket case engine. The way I see it, I broke even.

I got the SturmKeafer about 20 years later. If I had a place to park it, I would have picked up a 72 Super last fall that needed an engine... I hated passing up on that one, rust free and only 600 bucks.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

............Pretty good for a furriner.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Thank you, o master :)

Jan

Reply to
Kidd

Mr. Hoover:

I know several experts who put their information online along with a link to PayPal and they do get money for their contributions.

Some of us honor the Social Contract.

For those who don't know what the Social Contract might be, consider an analogy. The scene is a chaotic world of largely fruitless trees separated by hundreds of miles. One person spends a great deal of time, effort and practice to grow a wonderful tree of edible, nourishing fruit. The Social Contract suggests that if you can afford to spare some change you would give it to the grower so that he can continue to provide the same and more, and to encourage others to follow the same practice. It is how the world becomes a better place.

Reply to
2

I have to side with Mr. Hoover on this one. It is one thing to offer your expertise without expecting compensation. And quite another for someone to take this information and make money from it. Folks, that is just not right.

I would also purchase - without hesitation - any publication Mr. Hoover would choose to author.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten