Body swap (63 for 70)

Will a 70 (Standard Beetle) body fit on a 63 chasis?

I have a spare body lined up and rather than replace heater channel's and various other rusted bits, this would be easier if no modifications are nessecary.

Cheers

Reply to
zigford

the rear body mount(in rear wheelwells) will have to be moved upward(i believe it is upward). this is a relatively simple modification....the only other spot I'm unsure of is where the body(70) usually bolts to the front beam(under fuel tank) might be different than the chasis....this is not something i am sure of, but the 70 did have a different front beam, so not sure....someone with more experience with ealier cars may have to speak up here...Speedy, Speedy, where are you Speedy?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

You rang??

I don't have any hands-on with that swap, but you're probably right about both items. No big deal though.

One thing I would be concerned about before doing the swap is exactly what *your* state BMV requires for titling when there are **TWO** VIN numbers. Some states don't give a hoot, but others really do care. Just a heads up.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

nice to be "needed" isn't it....

good point Jim....didn't even consider the red tape involved...here in VA the DMV used to not really "care" which you used, but prefered the chasis vin.... now i think they require the chasis vin to be the one that is used for title requests...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The front mounts above the beam are the same, so no problem there. However, as mentioned already the rear mounts are lower on the chassis, so you will need to weld extensions onto the body brackets. You will need to use the later engine seal, although I am not sure how well it matches with the earlier tin.

Reply to
Peter