retrofiting body panels

Hi all; Is it possible to install 1965 and older front and rear fenders and hood and trunk lid on a 1972 superbeetle to give the super a 60's look? If it can be done, what work is involved. I'm planning on installing new fenders this winter when the car goes into storage and would like to give it a different look and I've always liked the look of the early 60's bugs with the long hood and deck lids and the covered headlights. Any info would be appreciated, thanks..................DAN

Reply to
daniel ferguson

the fenders are a straight bolt on...the decklid and bonnet require apron replacements...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The front fenders are not a straight bolt on, The SUPER beetle is a totally different machine. The rear fenders are a bolt on,.........maybe, according to which 60's model you have to work with.............there are some minor differences. The bonnets and hoods are not terribly simpole either. up front, is a no go. Must be all about custom parts building. the rear lid can be done with the apron. All in all , I'd recoemmend that you buy the (2) 65's that John Willis is offering up if you want a 60's look Bug. the two will make one excellent car.

(It's a super he's wanting to retro fit with 60's parts)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

ahh...yes...thanks Scott i did not read the post thoroughly....i saw 72 and thought same question different week...sorry for misinformation...carry on..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" wrote

He's got a Super. I'd like to be there when he does the front fenders. (Dawn's the Light!) :)

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

read on

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

just graft on the area around the headlights on early fenders.

trey

Reply to
Trey

The front fenders are so way different it would look stupid.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

thats the kind of in the box thinking i like to see.

trey

Reply to
Trey

So go ahead with your impressionistic thing. Do it. Weld an early headlight on a '70-something Bug fender. The earlier front fenders were sculpted, shaped so very differently than the late models that if you can't see it, then I pity you. It will be just friggin tragic.

I swear VW had a stylist moron they let out of his putrid dungeon cell periodically just to screw up the lines of the Bug. It got worse and worse until it was just stupid.

And don't ever do this 'outside the box' thing on me. People who are original don't even think about 'boxes'. It's way gone.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

creative car craft in florida makes early style fiberglass front fenders for the super beaters.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

i think i found the group drama queen. it it totally missed the point. not excatly how that was intended. i apologize in advance.

however, i know the difference between early and late fender. people who are very interested in metal work, and understand metal work, can see very in depth, each curve and shape. i once met a guy who is claimed to be one of the best, and he would blow your mind. he left, and my head was spinning.

i also belive that it could be tastefully done. its not as easy as 'welding on an early headlight,' but that isnt the point. it could take some work. i was just in the garage looking at the fenders for my 61 and the fenders for my wifes 71 super. i think it would be fun. ill have to go take a look around this week and see if i cant find a pair in bad shape. but even then i wouldnt want to do it, unless they were mexico fenders. anything worth while can be fixed. keep that in mind too. too many people throw out good steel because 'it cant be fixed.' i think everyone should get themselves a body hammer and a dolly, and try it on for size. its relaxing.

and as far as thinking outside the box. its the damn truth, and too many people know it. maybe the volksrods should go away. they are friggin tragic. i guess the same goes for the euro look. its all idiotic i guess? just throw on a set of empi 5's, and call it normal. you see what im saying here? to tell somebody that something is a bad idea because it would look 'way stupid,' is just awful. a lot of important cars wouldnt be built if everyone was that way. im sure someone told gene berg it was a bad idea. what if someone would have told volkswagen it was a bad idea to export to the us, or japan. someone could have stopped mark herbert, but they didnt. or ed roth, george and sam barris. that would have affected vw's too.

but go ahead, tell people not to try things. unless you tried it a 100 times, and the results were horrible eveytime, then dont say it at all. and you can say you have tried it. i can say im a millionare with 7 wives, prove it.

so daniel, if you have the tools, the time, and the ability, try it. screw it, whats to lose. if it doesnt work, you will learn something doing it. im going to try it myself probably, and i will learn something too, one way or another.

Reply to
Trey

i think you have your head up your ass.

So you are now building strawmen. You don't know me or my tastes.

Never said that. I was making the case based upon what you wrote: weld an early headlight onto a late fender. Like I said, go ahead. You will still have that ugly late model fender.

I'd rather chop a 49 than even look at a half-assed SB.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

ppsssttt...John....its been done many times already....its not new....and it does look good...you have probably seen it and didn't find it as fugly as you seem to think it would be...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" wrote

I like currrrrves.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

as do i.....but whenit comes to the front fenders on a vw, they are almost the same for nearly forty years from the rear of them to about 2/3 forward...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

There's gotta be a name for that expressed area around the old headlights. Puffy?

The rest? I should put a gauge on the '58 wheelwell curve and compare it to the '72. If they are the same, drinks are on me.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

not wheelwell...the profile...from running board to just past highest point is damn close to identical..then it "puffs"(for lack of a better word, also) out for the headlight...even the late models puff out, but less drastically...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i just love these forums =)

Reply to
Nick via CarKB.com

An interesting debate,more philisofical than informative but that's what makes reading forums so much fun. I'd bet that the molds for the glass fenders offered by creative car craft in florida were made by grafting the "puffy "area around the headlights from an older style fender to the super's fender and then used it as a plug to make the mold. I'll check out CCC and see if there what I'm looking for. Thanks all......................DAN

Reply to
daniel ferguson