Bus progress at long last!

It has taken me what, 10 years to slowly rebuild the 66 bus back to street legal condition, and this weekend I made some real progress with it. FINALLY. It's been standing out in the open under a tarp all winter again. The body filler I had to apply last fall has mildew on it.. and some of it seems to be peeling. Oh well. I can redo it.

The good news is, the electrical system now works. The engine in it is a tired old 1500 which has a generator, and I didn't bother fixing the wiring. Instead I yanked it all out and got rid of the regulator too. I thought I'd drive the bus to the inspection station with battery power alone, get it inspected and registered (Please God, let it happen), and then replace the engine with the 2 liter T4 i have waiting... along with it comes an internally regulated alternator and quick release wiring harness. Surely a good battery should take me 20 miles to inspection and back. (OK, I'll bring a fully charged spare with me).

I'm excited! I don't know when I will get a chance to go to the inspection station, I still need brakes (a horror story of it's own, I'll spare you) and the rear window glass is missing.. Some mirrors will have to be rigged up too. Yep, still a lot of work to be done, but I might just pull it all off. By mid June...

See, this bus is what I plan to drive to the BugRun show in Southern Sweden. First about 100 miles to the ferry, then a ferry ride across the bay, then some 300 miles down E4.. and hopefully all the way back too. :)

All I need is PLATES. Dammit. And a little time perhaps... :D

When I get the brakes done to a point where they pass inspection, and I get the damned plates and insurance, I will replace the front drums with discs. Have a full set lying around. A new dual circuit master cylinder would be nice too, to replace the old single master I tried to hone back to life yesterday. Maybe after the trip.

Psyched!!!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Good luck Jan.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Good on you, Jan!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

That is good news about the bus progress. Hope everything goes well and you make it to the BugRun Show. :o) Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Your bus trials give me energy to push forward Mike :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

If my purpose here is to serve as inspiration, if any one man who might otherwise give up were to say But wait! This problem I am having is as nothing! Think of Mike and the Wonderbus! If he can do it without weeping like a little baby then so can I! then staunch the bleeding and carry on.

If I may serve as inspiration to even one man who is wavering in his determination, why then, I am doing good work.

Years from now, when children come crying to their parents for help with some problem insurmountable to the little tots -- such as a booger-searching index finger rammed too far up a nostril for easy removal -- those caring mothers and fathers will comfort them with the Tales of Rocket J Squirrel and the Wonderbus.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Just dropping in for a minute .. My bus is doing ok as well .. 67 Bus .. The engine is a piece of crap .. the mechanics from hell are out of business, hope I helped in that regard. Bus leaks oil like a son of a gun .. but runs my 70 mile round trip EVERY DAY to work and back like a champ ... I LOVE HER ... If you are in Orlando and if you drive I-4 .. you can't miss me. It is purple and my grandkids climb into the bus everytime I go to see them ... pull out the paint markers and color flowers and hearts and whatever they want ... Some day I might get a real paint job, but everytime I talk about doing that EVERYONE says "NO !!"

Anyway .. hi all !!! I have been away from here for a while .. Busy Bush Bashing ... So sue me !!!

Reply to
DeeVee

"DeeVee" wrote

You are truly delusional if you believe the two statements above.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

I'll keep my eyes peeled in September :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

And you are if you don't ... But I didn't come here to discuss the moron who stole the election and would totally destroy this country if it weren't for the fact that John Kerry is going to win this election by a landslide ..

I came to talk about my bus ...

Diane

Reply to
deevee

LMAO!!!!!

LLLLLMMMMMMAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

You have got to be kidding!

Even If I thought John F'n Kerry were likely to win, I'd be a fool to think that understanding is what the dems are into, or Hate for the Republicans. Both are interested in pretty much the saem thing. the Whit House. and Both will do whatever it takes to be elected. Lie, cheat and steal.

POLITICIANS are all messed up as far as I can see. Has Nothing to do with D or R.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®