BUSHING and a new starter, what am i suppose to do!

Just got a new starter for my 68 beetle, 1776cc dual carb.

Got the old starter out finally and am not trying to figure out how to put the new one in....

**Here is what I understand:

I need to take out the old bushing IN the hole where my new starter will insert and intall the new, lubricated bushing into that hole.

**here is what I DONT understand:

How to I take out the old one the easiest way? And, how do I put the new one in?

Also...how long do starter's usually last?

Thanks for any and all suggestions, Katie

Reply to
kt.stefani

Hi Katie, Are you sure that you need a new starter bushing? Either you have a tool designed to remove the bushing or you use a tap that will tap into that bushing and then continue to screw it out. Then you carefully can tap the new one in using something that will not deform the bushing. There are some bushing install tools not too far from you Harbor Freight tools.

Some Bosch starters that are being sold are not coming with a new bushing. wierd! Starters can last for decades. I just replaced the one in my everday vehicle after 23 years and 235K+ miles. ;-)

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Just backing up what others have said, it's not easy to remove/replace the bushing if you're not familiar with mechanics. Most people go along with the crap shoot and leave the old one in.

And starters generaly do last a long, long time since they actually run very little.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

true. most of the time the copper bar in the solenoid will corode and thats what will cause the starter not to work. or with starters that are getting old, the high current side of the contacts will be so worn that it doesnt make contact any more.

and yes Autozone actually has a note in their data base not to bench test starters from aircooled beetles, as they have no internal bearing, and it can screw it up.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

Or if you can, take that starter back and ask for one from the same year, but autositck. It's a self supporting starter, and doesn't need a bushing in the bellhousing.

Reply to
jeckler