Carb cleaning suggestions

Ok, pulled the carb off my '56 type I. Its a 28 PICT 1. I have some ZEP cleaner - degreaser. Can I mix some of that up in a bucket and let the carb assembly sit and soak for a few hours? Is there a better method to clean the inside of the carb and jets? Should I blow air through the jets? Please, give me some suggestions as to how I should be clean my carb. Thanks.

Reply to
Steve Gift

Lacquer thinner is an excellent carb cleaner. It will disolve fuel deposits and does not leave any residue of its own. Be sure to wear gloves as it will dry out skin.

I let fuel system parts soak a bit, then brush with a natural bristle paint brush, then soak some more. Repeat this until all residue is removed. Be sure to blow out all carb passages with compressed air to break loose clogs. Wear goggles when doing this to protect your eyes.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Blow air into all the passages, but against the normal direction of flow. i.e. aim at the little holes in the carb throat, and such. Don't blow air into the accelerator pump while the pump diaphgram is still in place, the extra pressure might rupture it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Steve Gift

thanks for this tip Tim! I have fast and maybe even slow lacquer thinner in the garage. ;-) I learn something new each day. later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave