CD/MP3 player in radio slot - '71 Ghia

I've wanted to install a cd/mp3 player in my Ghia, but all that I've seen won't fit the existing slot. I do not want to cut/enlarge the slot. Any suggestions or ideas ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Steve Mc

Have you thought about installing it in the glove box?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I did, but I'd rather have it in the radio slot, though I may have to re-visit the glove box option.

Reply to
Steve Mc

Less tempting to thieves in the glove box.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I cut my dash to make room for a nicer radio because I wanted it to be all nice and clean and comfy inside my bug. Here's a picture where you can see the radio a little bit:

HAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Shag

Ooh, wait... Better shot of radio:

Shag

That's what I call a muddy bug interior.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Yeah! The rest of us just get dust on the console :) - What the heck happened there, Shag?!?!

Reply to
Remco

Old story...

Didn't someone say something recently about someone gettingsome new material?

Reply to
Shag

I saw something at maplin.co.uk (no direct link am afraid) that allows you to plug an mp3 player into the ariel socket of an existing ICE head to play mp3s.

Not ideal quality but might be a solution.

I am facing same problem, don't want to cut into my 68 dash, but unsure if want to be reaching over to glove box every time i want to change something on stereo.

Had something in an old mini once that was like a cage that would bolt under the dash, four small holes better than cutting the radio space, added bonus of not havin the ugly centre console and being able to see/reach stereo (would need a detachable face one for security purposes though)

Spike

Spike

I cuurently have a 10-disk CD changer that plays through my existing stereo ( RF ?) mounted in the deck. I ran the control apparatus through the slight space between the stereo at the dashboard opening. It works well most of the time, but some MP3s crash the changer, and I have to go into the trunk and reset it. That's getting to be a hassle. Also, I'm assuming it's certain MP3s, depending on how they were encoded, because by re-encoding them, seems to correct the problem, and that's only if I could identify which ones are crashing the unit. That's also too big of a project , and I guess it could also be the unit. Although it's convient to have thousands on songs available, it's a bit of overkill, and I wouldn't mind dealing with the

1-disk player in the dash if I could find one that would fit.
Reply to
Steve Mc