Clutch Problems: "vvvvwwwwooom" noise whenever it engages

Okay, I'm starting to run out of ideas here.... I'll describe the problem from the start and hopefully somebody knows what's going on.

I was driving my sandrail last week, and there was a sharp "ping" from the clutch. Ever since, the clutch has been making a "vvvvwwwwoooommmm" noise whenever it engages. I managed to get it limped back home in this condition.

At home, I pulled the motor and had a look in there, and found that the cross arm (or "clutch fork" as some people call it) had snapped, right where the throwout bearing rides in the fork.

I purchased a new SCAT heavy duty cross arm (much heavier than the stock one that I had), as well as a new SACHS throwout bearing, and a new set of bushings/etc for the cross arm.

I reassembled everything (with much helpful advice from this newsgroup). Everything in the clutch felt great. The arm turned smoothly and there was no obvious problems. I tried running the clutch manually (pushing the rail and engaging/disengaging the clutch) to make sure all was well.

However, as soon as I cranked up the sandrail, I seem to be right back where I started from -- a "vvvvvwwwwoooommmm" sound whenever the clutch engages. The sound is accompanied by a vibration that shakes the whole frame (and the driver). I'm afraid if I drive it at all, I'm going to wind up breaking something in there again.

There is no noise when the clutch is fully engaged, or when it is fully disengaged -- it's only when it's in the process of being engaged.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? When I had it apart, I disassembled and visually inspected the clutch, and it appeared to be fine (the broken cross arm seemed such an obvious fault, that I didn't look at the clutch too thoroughly).

I know this sounds like a throwout bearing problem, but I've got a brand new throwout bearing installed.

The sandrail has a Mazda Rotary Engine mounted on it, but a kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate, and six-puck clutch installed. The Mazda->VW adapter kit uses a slightly modified VW flywheel, so all of the parts from the flywheel back are VW-type stuff.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
nospam

What's the condition of the flywheel? Is it scored?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

On 25 Jul 2004 15:03:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@dontspamme.com ran around screaming and yelling:

that would lead me to believe it is the pressure plate...but can't be sure, because i can't see it... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I agree with JT, but would recommend changing the rest of the clutch stuff! I know it is not what you wanted to hear. :-( I have seen bent clutch discs and uneven pressure plates. How is the pilot bearing? later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Well, I pulled it all apart (again!), and I found that the pilot bearing looked very worn. I checked fit with a clutch alignment tool, and it was very loose. FYI, This being a Mazda engine, it has a little bronze pilot bearing (I think the normal VW's had something different?)

Does this sound reasonable, that a worn pilot bearing could be causing the noise and vibration?

Assuming the broken cross arm was the root cause of all this trouble (there was a distinct "ping" right before all this trouble started), does it sound probable that the broken cross arm caused the wear on the pilot bearing?

Thanks Scott

Reply to
nospam

A misaligned part will cause wear on the other parts. So YES it is possible. Or the bad pilot bearing caused other problems too!

Glad you found this problem. Are the other components good? T1s usually had needle bearings inside of the gland bolt that holds the flywheel on. later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Replace the pressure plate or test it somehow.

Check for worn motor/transaxle mounts.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe