Curved Air Vent Rust Problem_Help Please!

Curved Air Vent Rust Problem_Help Please!

I got 3 small rust holes below the little curved air vent cover by the right rear window. Any ideas on how to fix this? One of the holes is about 2 inches by 1 inch.

I do not have a plasma cutter or a welder.

I was going to grind away the weak part of the metal with a Dremmel tool,

Clean with wax and grease remover,

Stuff the holes with fiberglass cloth,

And fill the holes with fiberglass resin. Let dry, sand it, and spray on some primer.

I did not want to use Bondo, since I heard it acts like a sponge, retains water, and causes rust.

What do you estimate that a body repair shop would charge to do this?

Could I just paint it with POR 15 to slow down the rusting process?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Jim347a

Jim you might want to start by removing the foam thats there. if you get a 3' piece of 3/4" flat bar (Lowes) bend a hook at the end and dig the foam out. if you see the rust on the out side there is much more on the inside.

Then you might find a local body shop to weld in metal or junk it if its not done perfect.

Reply to
Kafertoys

You know all about junk, I'm sure.

Reply to
ryan68bug

this should give you an idea of what I was talking about.

Kafertoys

And I was talking about Joan's car that you absolutely butchered.

Reply to
ryan68bug

So its more important to BS about me then to help someone looking for a VW related question?

If so then all VW questions should be marked OT. hey it seems to be my forum, so I get to make the rules.

Reply to
Kafertoys

BE WARNED. MARIO GAVAZZI, AKA "KAFERTOYS" OF "VINTAGE WERKS RESTORATION" IN BURLINGTON, NORTH CAROLINA IS A SCAM ARTIST, LIAR AND THIEF. PLEASE SEE THE FOLLOWING:

?v=JeQ8UwWPP4Y

Reply to
Meyer

Nope, no BS. The fact is you stole nine thousand plus dollars from that woman. You are a despicable human being, or at least excuse for one.

Reply to
ryan68bug

I think I will cover the holes with a bumper sticker until I get back to it in warmer weather.

Reply to
Jim347a

I believe a bumper sticker would likely trap in more moisture. Not sure how well POR 15 works for external purposes (I've only heard of people using it for the interior floorpan sections).

Reply to
ryan68bug

A good portion of acid free Vazeline would be better than a sticker, wheelbearing grease can also be used. This is only a very temp fix though, will keep water out and prevent from rusting more. A better "quick" fix is Brunox, a rust converter, it actually works..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg