dash in or out? super resto

I'm restoring my 73 super beetle and all that is left in the car is the carpet, loom and dash. A VW fanatic friend whop is doing the welding and has restored loads of vw's in the past reccommended that the dash stays in with the loom wrapped up underneath, then mask off the whole area for spraying? I'd rather take everything out and have the whole shell sprayed, eventhough under the dash will never be seen. Is it a hard job removing a super dash? and should i leave it in? regards.....

Reply to
WBS

The dash is really easy to remove. The difficult part is to remember where all those wires went. But since we've got speedy jim on our side, maskin tape and pens to make tags and wiring diagrams, that should not be a problem.

Take pictures, I'm also in the process of restoring my '73.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I'll take some pictures in a few hours of the body without the engine, wings etc. Todays job is taking out the interior. Is it doubtful the headliner will come out intact?

Reply to
WBS

I just took a dash out of a 73 and it wasn't a big deal... i had to get some help to yank it out (it was kinda stuck on), but other than that pretty simple... there are really not many wires to remember "where they go", most of them have quick connect plus, only really the speedo head has individual wires going to it... get a good wiring diagram and you'll be set!

Reply to
VWGirl

really doubtful that the headliner will come out in tact, it is probably brittle if it is old, and there is glue around the edges to hold it on... maybe if you heated the glue up with a hairdryer it would come off easier? good luck!

Reply to
VWGirl