Rusted out floors in my 74 super

I just started the teardown on a 1974 Super Beetle I'm trying to get running again. I pulled the carpets up and the floor is rusted all the way through so I can see the ground in some places.

My question for you guys is what is involved in replace the pans? Do I need to remove the body?

I found 1 piece floor pans in a JC Whitney catalog for about $100. Are some pans better than others?

You guys are great, thx for the help!

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Big-time project.

(skip ahead to week 17)

to remove body) Note that '73 and later use a very different seat mount (pan).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Buy the floorpan video/DVD, it shows you exactly what needs to be done. Both pan-off and pan-on repair. (The latter being s bit easier in that you don't need to lift the body off...)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

JCWhitney's pans are really thin.

You can get much better quality sheet metal from

or

This may be worth checking out as well: I have heard that pan quarters tend to be thicker than pan halves. If that is true, you would need to do a little more work (one extra seam - no biggie) but you would end up with a thicker pan. I have not verified it and did not hear of it until I already bought my pans, but it could be a good approach to take.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I really appreciate all your help Speedy Jim! You are an amazing resource on this group.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Derek

Good to know, I'll have to ask and compare gauge on the pans before I buy anything.

Reply to
Derek

That's what I try to do as well. Also bring a thickness gauge with you when you go to bug shows and intend to buy sheet metal.

Welcome to RAMVA, btw :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
D&LBusch

I repaced my rusty pans with thick aluminum sheets i had bent locally. It cost about the same as jc whit. It's not factory but it is solid as hell! I will never have to do that again.

Reply to
evanevans

Hey David,

I'm not sure where to look for quality parts, so any recommendations (especially around San Jose, California, to save on shipping if I can) would be a really big help!

Thanks

Reply to
Derek