engine misfiring

My '66 Bug has a persistent miss that I can't track down. I've changed the plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, cap and rotor. I've also retimed the engine (7 1/2 degrees BTDC) and adjusted the valves. I've made sure that the plug wires are securely connected. The engine STILL misses.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I've run out of ideas.

Richard Couch Iowa City, IA '66 Type I '83 Rabbit GTI

Reply to
Richard Couch

Are your exhaust manifolds loose or leaking? Could be also the intake manifolds.

Do this test: put gloves on that can get dirty. Start the engine and let it idle. Go to the rear of the car and press your palms tight against the exhaust pipe ends. If you can stall the engine, you have no exhaust leaks. If you cannot, hear for the leaks from the system.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

And spray a little carb cleaner at the base of the intake manifold (where it goes into the heads) to see if there is a vacuum leak there.

compression test is good to do too!

did you pinpoint which cylinder is missing? Is the distributor properly installed? That notch on the body is for #1 plug. Not sure if it makes much of a difference or if #3 is slightly retarded. Is this a stock 66 T1 engine?

dave

Thanks for the advice; I'll give your suggestions a try and hopefully I'll get this problem solved soon.

Richard Couch Iowa City, IA '66 Type I '83 Rabbit GTI

Reply to
Richard Couch