engine number

I have a 1968 Beetle 1300 which has 5553 F - 465232 riveted onto the engine where the engine number should be. Can anyone tell me what this means please as it doesn't seem to match the usual codes? On my previous Beetle the number was stamped into the engine case. The car was for the British market.

Reply to
Paul

It means the engine have been rebuilt by a company other than VW. VW used a recycling symbol stamped next to the engine number/code.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg