61 Hawk

Heres one near you JP,geeze I love black finned Hawks. I sure hope I can make my new dash look this good.

Robert Black

Back when I bough my 56J, about 5 years now, I could have bought a red-and-white '61 with the desirable 4-on-floor for $11,000 from a dealer, no less, in California.

That same year, I could have bought the powder blue Lark convertible once owned by Carol Studebaker for $6500 from a dealer in Florida, I think. This was the same car that was auctioned or raffled a couple of years ago at one of the International meets, maybe the anniversary one in South Bend. I forget now.

Anyway, just to say prices have changed a lot since then. My 56J cost me $7500 at the time. Don't know what it might go for now, but at least double that I'd think. Maybe more. But I still remember that '61 with its red vinyl interior, 4-speed, and flashy look.

Best, JoeH.

------------------------------

Reply to
JoeH

That car might be worth slightly more than half the buy it now with a new rear end treatment and who knows what else. I think someone switched the rear bumper or forgot to switch it. jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

Reply to
John Kunkel

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

I am glad to see that it has the correct off-white stripe on the rear quarter and this area hasn't been repainted to match the interior, as has been done on many '61 Hawks.

Reply to
studegary

And the problem with that is???

Lee (like I wanted a white car with a white stripe)

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

The insert is definitely a darker shade than Ermine White. But it does make you wonder if any '61 Hawks were special ordered with a Blaze Red (or any other contrasting '61 color or single tone; no contrasting color at all including Pearl Beige) insert over what was standard.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Thanks... I'll stick with interior color.

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Excellent choice!

Reply to
Dave's Place

I agree that the interior color in the stripe looks much better, especially on a white car. I knew of many '61 Hawk stripes that were repainted when new, at the dealerships, before they were ever sold to the first retail customer. This leads to the "that is the way that I bought it new" statements. My comments aren't based on what looks better, and I believe that people should do what they want with their cars, but what is correct/authentic is gradually being lost.

Reply to
studegary

Rhienbeck, NY Auto Show last week end had a white 60 Hawk for sale. It was listed for $ 10,500. It definately wasn't as nice as this. No Power Steering or Brakes and was a std.

In 1964 I had a chance to buy a 61 Hawk exactly like this but with a

4-spd from Knight's Garage in Wappinger Falls NY. It was sold before I could buy it. I used to drive by its new home and cry every day.

Geno

64 R2 Avanti

64 Daytona Convertible

Reply to