FI to Carb conversion question (again)

Hi guys/gals! I'll try again an repost this question, since the first time no one answered. Is it possible to convert from the FI to a Carbureted engine on a '98 mexibeetle and still have a working A/C??? What is needed to be done to make the conversion a success? anyways, is it possible, easy to do and/or cost effective to build a street performance engine with the FI system (modified)?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I would say that YES it is possible to convert the FI to a Carb. You might need another fuel pump along with the intake & exhaust systems. If you have all the brackets that you need for the A/C then there should be no big problem. :-)

Usually more speed or more power = more $$$ spent. How fast did you want the MexiBeetle to go? Also it could shorten the lifespan of the engine. :-(

JMHO later, dave USA

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

............Your stock FI will be good up to about 100hp and maybe 6k rpms, I'd guess. The digifant injectors and air-flow meter from a 2.1 liter vanagon are adaptable to your Mexican type1 if you want more. At least that's what I read somewhere........I may try doing it someday on a 70's era type1 L-Jetronic setup someday. There's some good info at STF about modifying the FI on an ACVW.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Thanks a lot Dave. Another fuel pump? can't I use the one on the FI system? it's a practically new pump. I understand having to get a different intake system, but exhaust? why is that? The bracket on the A/C compressor is perfect, but I think it may interfere with the dual carb system, is it wise to adapt the bracket for another position?

How fast do I want it to go? not much. Remember the '73 superbeetle? I got a used 1776 with a progressive webber on it and it runs really well. nice highway performance and not really noisy. I want just a little better acceleration than that. The mexibeetle has a '69 style swingaxle, so I think it may help it have better acceleration than the super.

Can I keep the hydraulic lifters? they are as quiet as a snail.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Thanks Tim. What does STF stand for? Do I have to replace the computer too? They have a reputation to fail when you need it the most. Can I convert this engine to maybe a 1914cc and still keep the hydraulic lifters and FI just by adapting the vanagon parts?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

........STF = Shop Talk Forums

.............For a mild 1914, you don't need a new ECU or any vanagon parts. You may drive it and then decide to try to tweak the FI which wouldn't involve any major mechanical work. There's plenty of help available here and at STF when you get to that point.

BTW.........ECU's almost never fail. They're the most reliable component in an EFI system no matter what kind of car it's in.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Thanks again...I wonder why mexibeetle's ECU's have such a bad rep around here. Maybe some idiot car electrical repair guys don't do things right? or self installed audio systems connected wrong?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The pressure will be greater on a FI engine than one on a carb. Yes you could use the existing fuel pump along with a regulator and good return line. You already mentioned dual carbs, so that will work along with the existing exhaust, but do you have a restrictive exhaust and cat. conv. on it? Remember that the engine is an air pump, so you want enough air to get in and enough air/exhaust to get out.

Brackets you will have to see! I just don't know.

Reply to
dave

Reply to
ilambert

Right now it has the stock mexibeetle exhaust (single).

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña