Front axle beam replacement

Please give me your thoughts on front axle beam replacement. I noticed mine is rusted and in need of replacement. I have a 75 standard beetle. Thanks Bruce R. Menomonee Falls, WI

Reply to
VW66HOF78

Easy. It just bolt on.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Thanks Dan, from your answer it must not be a big problem.

Reply to
VW66HOF78

Fuel tank comes out to get at 2 body bolts.

2 more long bolts thru front. Disconnect tie rods. Unbolt steering box shaft. Remove steering damper. Disconnect brake lines. Saw off bumper shock braces. YES! Saw off. You'll have to weld them back on later.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Well, there might be a little bit more to it then just bolt on. I did this a few years ago and it took awhile.

Randy

RSMEINER

Howdy.

Basically it's bolted on with 4 bolts at the frame head... then hooking up a "prepped" (brakes, bearings etc) front beam and you're ready to go.

This could be a good time to pick up the ghia beam that you've always wanted.

I have a line on used beams out of Western WI... contact me if interested.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

WOW, it has been a long time since I have done one of these. I thought that there were 4 long bolts going through the front and 2 at the top. Is there one bumper shock brace or two. Like I said it has been a long time. :-)

I usually take whole spindle assembly (drums and all) off the ball joints leaving the tie rods attached. Mark the upper camber adjusting sleeves (lack of a better term) BEFORE loosening the nuts. Support the brake drums with jackstands or milkcrates. Take off the steering damper. Take off the steering box arm and lower clamp.

Now are you getting a front axle beam without springs or ???

dave

LOL! I meant to say 2 *pairs* of bolts in front. There is a brace on each side for the bumper shocks ('74 and later only). Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Jims got it down 'cept one thang I did different that maybe you could try......See comment in jims entry below.

88

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (VW66HOF78) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m28.aol.com:

Go to my site below and I have a page name Front end R&R, it should give you an idea of what you are in for. Not a bad job though.

Reply to
TerryB