grinding on turning

When I turn the steering wheel on my '65 Karmann Ghia too far (when leaving a parking spot, for instance), I get a loud tapping/grinding from the front end. Is this symptomatic of something, or normal? Other than not turning the wheel too far, is there something I should do?

Reply to
Sam

The tire rubs on the body. You have to adjust the stop screws (they limit the pitman arm travel).

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

If, after you have inspected the tires for signs of abrasion/rubbing, have found nothing, a front wheel bearing may be failing. In that event, STOP driving immediately!

Post back what you find.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

OK, I'll check the wheels for rubbing. It doesn't sound like rubbing: it sounds like clicking/grinding and the wheels start to roll. I'll turn the steering wheel all the way and check the stop screws and see if they need adjusting.

I just had the front inner and outer wheel bearings replaced, because they were worn, but that didn't fix the problem.

Thanks for your comments. I'll update you when I figure out the problem.

-Sam

Reply to
Sam

What kind of wheels do you have on it ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

To the left? What about to the right?

What the others have said and also maybe a rusty drum hitting the backing plate.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I think the tire is rubbing! I found a piece of metal on the chassis that is a little bent from the tire rubbing. The clicking noise is the tread hitting that metal! Thank for everyone's help!

-Sam

Reply to
Sam

I've had this on a Ghia. the tires were over--size. put 145's on. it's OK now.

Reply to
troll

that's good to know. when my tires are worn, i'll replace them with the correct size!

-sam

Reply to
Sam

Oversized tires on proper size rims make the bug or ghia ride MUCH better. 145 and 155 high profile tires were stock size and cheap when these cars were new. "low" profile tires werent even invented. Get with the times, and adjust. Just about any beetle and Im sure Ghia too, would be much better to drive all around with modern tires, like 185/65. I would recommend 5.5" rims for that, they were available for some beetle models and several aftermarket rims are available at that size.

At the minimum, put 165/something in all corners on the narrower stock rims (4.5" is the most common size, very early models had 4" and those may be too narrow for 165)

All my beetles have gone from stock to 185/65 tires on 5.5 rims, and the difference is phenomenal. That has proven (to me anyway) to be the best overall, all-purpose tire and rim combo, for a daily driver. Race cars and weekend warrior street machines are a different story. I will never drive an aircooled vw with those tall skinny stock size tires. They scare me.

Yes you may get rubbing issues, but the tires generally dont hit anything sharp. Usually you polish the round elbow of the torsion arm with the inside sidewall of the tire. Dont turn the wheel as far anymore, or adjust the stopper bolt to prevent them from going that far in the first place and never worry about it again. The turning radius doesnt suffer so much that youd notice.

Jan

Sam wrote:

Reply to
Jan