'79 convertible - value?

I have an opportunity to pick up a '79 fuel injection beetle convertible that has been stored for at least 5 years, probably more. It seems to be in pretty good shape (body, top, upholstery) and am told it "ran well" when put into storage. The clock shows 70k. It is, and reportedly always has been in a no snow/salt environment so there is no visible rust but it would have to go up on a hoist to be checked out. I know the owner and believe he wouldn't intentionally mislead me.

I'm not a true VW buff (probably hard for this group to believe, although I had a great little '54 many years ago), but understand this "last year of the beetle convertible" is quite sought after by those who are VW fans. I'm amazed at the internet prices being asked for restored or pristine examples of this model.

Assuming the situation is as it appears, and I am willing to put some money into it to bring things up to scratch what would be a fair price to offer?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

Hey Gerry there are lots of factors like location, location, location but if its in very good condition it could be worth $7500 up. There are people still finding real nice deals still but I'm sure there getting rare. You could look on the Samba for a vert in simular condition but the prices seem to be all over the board so it might not be much help.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys