headlights - d'oh

Man, did I pull a little Homer Simpson tonight. I never drive at night, but decided to take the oval for a pizza run. Guy outside the shop says, "nice bug, your driver headlight is out". Go home, run to the misc. parts and pull out a bulb, look at Bentley real fast just to make sure and pull the bucket see that it looks nothing like in Bentley and then I realize - D'OH I have sealed beams. So how do I pull this massive thing out to replace it. It doesn't seem readily apparent to me. I pulled the small retainer clips and the larger clip out the hooks into the two adjusting screws. What am I'm missing? - Homer

Reply to
DB

Not sure if it's like the ones on my two Bugs, but here's how you replace the bulb in my cars.

  1. First, replace the whole assembly back into the front of the fender. (D'oh).
  2. Looking at the outside rim of the sealed beam, you should see a silver (grey, whatever) trim ring that wraps around the front edge of the outside rim of the bulb unit.
  3. Looking straight back into the bucket, along the outer circumference of the rim, you should see 3 very small screws at about 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock (if memory serves correctly).
  4. There will also be two other screws, a little larger than the three screws previously mentioned. These two other screws are the aiming screws. One is probably at 12 o'clock, the other will be at either 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock.
  5. Remove at least two of the smaller screws and you should be able to pull the ring forward and the sealed beam should come along with it.
  6. If you only remove two of the three screws, you can usually gently pull the ring forward at about a 30 to 40 degree angle without buggering the remaining mounting tab and pull the sealed beam back, up and away from the ring.
  7. Unplug the connector from the back of the sealed beam.
  8. Re-assembly, as they usually say, is the reverse of removal.
Reply to
Malcolm

Before you get in too deep, make sure a fuse is not bad...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

no, that I checked (wipers were out and it was the most mangled fuse I've ever seen - not burnt, just a big gaping break with the wire literally off to the side). - DB

Reply to
DB

[...]

-- that works for a late model bug but your have wire style clips that hold the headlight assembly together on the 66 down (glass over headlights)

DB its not hard , sounds like you were doing the right thing just keep pulling the wire clips, should be around 10 and you will see how it al comes apart. just take your time it can be aggravating getting it back together the 1st time

Reply to
Kafertoys

I got it back together last night prior to my post (that big clip that hooks on the adjusting screws was a pain). It just took me by surprise (my dumb surprise) that it was nothing like Bentley. then I got to thinking why doesn't this look like Bentley or my owners manual (which looks like Bentley grafted it) & then thought should my car have sealed beams? Will putz around with it this weekend. - DB

Reply to
DB