Help - 2000 Sienna tail gate latch

The latch on the rear gate broke (internally) today. The gate is shut!!!!

Anyone know 1) how to get the gate open and 2) How to remove the latch

any help would be deeply appreciated.

Reply to
WingNut

Oh what fun you have in store. It's actually not that bad. We see them quite often, so your dealer will probably stock one (about $30 or 40, I think). Anyway.

-Get a flashlight, a 10mm socket, and a rag. You need to remove the rear door inner panel from the back, so crawl on in there. One 10mm bolt holds the pull strap, and two hold the handle that is on the bottom passenger side of the rear hatch.

-After you get those bolts out, the panel is only held on by clips, so find someplace to yank. I put a little hook in one of the holes from that handle you remove, and I pull like hell. You'll swear something will break, but you'll be alright (probably). It'll make a racket when the clips come loose.

-Once the panel is off, shine your light inside there and you will see the latch control rod that hooks into the door handle in a yellow clip. Pull on the rod and the door will open.

-After that I think it's just a couple of bolts and the handle comes right out. Get a new one from the dealer first, it'll make it easier to see how it comes out. Good luck, post if you need a hand.

Qslim

"Qslim" wrote

Thanks Qslim, I will give it a try and see how I do.

-- Wing Nut

Reply to
WingNut