Help in Colorado Springs

Hello All, Been a while sence I've been on here and sure miss all yall. I've got the bug again to do another bug and my wife is driving up to Colorado Springs on the 15th of this month and will be staying with my Daughter in law till she gets back on her feet, Having my Grandson. Anyway she is going to pick up a 69vw bug and pulling it back to here {Boerne, Tx} when she comes back. Not asking to much but to find someone there to check the transmission level to make sure it has plenty of oil in it. From what I hear this bug is a total disaster but thats the kind I like. It's kinda like making chicken salid out of chicken $%#$. The bug is over in Manitou Springs behind some Oriental restaurant 4 blocks west of SafeWay. Has a finder missing on the rear{ which side I have no idea. I'm up and ready for it. It was given to me and Brenda by my Daughter in law, was her mothers, Linda Ivy who just passed on, She knows what we can do with it so it's ours. I have been restoring a 50 Plymouth just cannot get into it, fricking part prices are out of this world, going to dump the whole project. My mistake not checking what prices for parts were. Plus the fact it just AINT A BUG....... Can someone get with me on this matter of checking it out. I can pay you for your service....Thanks...Tony PS...By the way...BURPPPPPPPPP..

Reply to
tonks

Hey, Tony! Good to hear from you! What are your plans for the '69? Restoring it or something else or not sure since you haven't seen it yet?

Reply to
Shag

If it was me I'd just rent a flat U-Haul car trailer to load it on instead of towing it on the wheels all that distance, much safer and better for the beetle too.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

of towing it on the wheels all that distance, much safer

..........Very good advice. I ruined a spindle once with a tow bar on a bug that hadn't been driven for a long time. Also, unless you bring your own wheels & tires it's a gamble that you'll make it very far with what's on it.

.............Welcome back Tonk!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hmmm... What if someone was gonna flat-tow a beetle on about a three hour trip using a tow-bar? What things would y'all check if you were going to do that? Tire pressure, fluid level in transaxle, make sure it's in neutral (duh). What about *keeping* it in neutral? Remove the shifter handle so the weight of it won't possibly drop it into gear? Or tie the shifter into place? What about the steering wheel? Leave it alone or tie it down? What else?

Reply to
Shag

..............You can leave the shifter & steering wheel alone. I've never bothered to check the tranny grease. Tire pressure is important. Wheel bearings are suspect for a bug that's been sitting outside for a long time. Bring along a tin of wheel bearing grease and check those front spindle nuts for being either too tight or loose. If it's IRS, you might consider pulling the rear axles to reduce the wear and tear on the tranny. I still think that trailering is a better way to go for really long distance transporting unless you're confident that the bug is in good condition for towing.

Reply to
Tim Rogers
3 hours thats it?

my wife and I towed both the bugs on a 600 mile trip one behind a uhaul and the other behind our Ford POS. Nuetral, unhook the battery and leave the ignition on so the steering wheel can turn. Make sure the tires and bearings are good, good tire pressure. Use safety chains and have good trailer lights! and dont drive too fast. I kept it about 65mph and watch out for those damned semi truck tires in the road. And park where you dont have to back up when getting food or gassing up!

Reply to
dragenwagen

Hey Tony... it cant be any worse than my 69 was in!

Good luck on the project!

Reply to
dragenwagen

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:05:40 -0500, Shag scribbled this interesting note:

Here's what we did one time.

John Willis

You may need to secure it with a bungee cord. At least have one available if you need it. That'll keep the wheels from whipping back and forth as they are sometimes prone to do, especially after you turn a sharp corner, but will still have enough give to let the wheel move a little on turns. If the front end is aligned well, it may track straight without the bungee cord.

Also, if this car has a steering lock where you'll have to put the key in the ignition and turn it on, it'd be a good idea to disconnect the battery.

I agree with Erik and Tim on a trailer being the best solution. I think the only way I'd trust towing with a tow bar would be on a car I was very familiar with, such as a daily driver where I *know* that the wheel bearings are good. I recently dragged home a '72 914 that had been sitting since 1987. It was only an hour away but I still played it safe and put it on a trailer. Come to think of it, I don't know if you can flat tow a 914. I didn't have a tow bar anyway.

Towing as far as Tonk is, I'd much prefer the peace of mind of having it on a trailer.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

ignition and turn it on...

steering column lock... :-)

Reply to
Shag

Also - make sure the brakes aren't rubbing.

Reply to
tedb

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 14:27:57 -0500, Shag scribbled this interesting note:

ignition and turn it on...

How about another hint?

John Willis

ignition and turn it on...

This is not a "done deal."

Reply to
Shag

SWEEETTTTTT!!!!! you're getting a pipe clamp?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

You don't see one of those every day!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

.............Travis used to say things like ESAD snapperhead to us when we said things like that back in the good old days.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

You just keep talking to the HAND Timmy ;)=

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

FOAD.