help on allen bolt in diagonal arm

the axle bolts happen to be 12 point 8 mm bolts

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

...true my bad.,...saw the 6mm on the allen and didn't think about it..just that it said allen. I knew something didn't look right =-/

..Gareth.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Man that is one scary looking bolt. I remember how tight it is in there too from doing mine. One suggestion I can make is to see if you can find a swivel that will attach to your 17mm allen tool, and try to hit it with an impact wrench if you can get it up in there. Sometimes getting a few hits in there with an impact will break the crud loose. I've had to do this many times on the square 'fill plugs' they use on differentials and the like. An impact walks them right out.

I would also suggest soaking that entire area with some kind of penetrating lubricant for several days before giving it another go. The super tech stuff they sell at wal-mart works pretty good, I used it on all the bolts for the suspension(front and rear) on my super for about a week before I took mine apart, and I didn't screw up a single fastener. Give everything a soaking every day. It will work, just takes time.

Good luck.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I mentioned in the begining that its not the best thing to heat it but other then charging someone a ridiculous amount because of wasted hours getting around not messing up some old and more then likely very worn bushings I would as a professional repair shop heat if necessary the frame horn area to remove the bolt and replace thebusings.

for a few dollars more for the same part
Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

and who says it's the SAME PART? Same description perhaps (like dinner at McDonalds, or Red Lobster, or Beni Hanna; all dinner, does that mean they are the same?.

besides, ours have instructions and a warranty. Yes, we are more $ for most items, but do not assume that because it's the same "application" it's the same part, because in most cases it is NOT. Buy your rubber from CIP or SoCal, and tell me how it looks 3mos after installation. Then tell me what happens when you call them up to complain.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Alright now Ant, Everyone here seems to know how to get those dad gummed springplates off, 'cept you.

I've taken so many off, I was pondering how it was that you couldn't figure it out. So,................I looked at the photos you have going, and have come to a way to get them off, considering where you sit. Not on what the book says, or "how I did it"..........however, "how I have done only one of them" does play into the whole scenario and is not the normal way I would do this operation.

1) Put the bolts back in the spring plate to trailing arm, however be it loosely, as they *will* be needed for this procedure. You will be using the weight of the vehicle for the springplate removal, and don't want it on the ground when it comes loose. The arm provides leverage and is very useful in this way.

2) After you have secured the springplates back to the diagonal arm with the 3 (or 4 if you have them) jack up the car by lifting the diagonal arm lower shock mount till the spring plate lifts off the stop. Just a bit higher than "off, so you can actually wedge a scewdriver behind it. At this point, you will need some help, and it doesn't need to be a circus strong man or anything, just someone to hold a screwdriver.........................you can put it in as described above.

3) Now, while the spare person holds the screwdriver, by the way, make that the BIG SCREWDRIVER, the one that you use for a prybar on everything else that needs to be pried...............under the springplateand over the stop. Lower the vehicle until the jack no longer supports it. The spring plate should slide along the ramp that *is* the screwdriver, and over the stop, and down beyond it's normal resting place. ( this is all assuming that you've got the car supported by something under the torsion tube ) The "twist" should now be released from the torsion spring. This will allow for removal as long as you've already got the cover plate loose.

This is similar in procedure to how I'd recomend adjusting the torsion springs on a Swingaxle Beetle, and is the "only one like that I have done"..................I hope this makes sense somewhat and is helpful.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Thanks a lot for explaining everything so clearly. Now things start to make sense to me.

Ant

MUADIB? wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant