I give up. Is there a reputable VW shop in St Louis...

I've spent enough time on my daughter's 72 SB. I rebuilt the engine and carb, got it put in place. Adjusted the valves (thanks for the info, mine were WAY off) and carb.

Since then, I've had idling issues (comes and goes) a rattle that increases with RPM (sounds like it's coming from around the fan area) and this red light issue which will NOT go away (since I installed the rebuilt engine).

Speedy Jim, you sent me a diagram for my generator. It's correct, but your diagram does not show a 4th wire on the harness, which is black on mine. Where does it go?

I have green to DF, red to D+, and tan to ground (per your diagram).

I have 2 other cars that need my full attention, so I need to farm this critter out. Any ideas on a shop or takers?

Mitch :P

Reply to
barnhart_pinball

If the Blk is a skinny wire, it is from the Diagnostic Socket and can be taped off.

Do the generator tests I show here:

will tell you if the gen is OK or not. The rattle may be from the nut/bushing that holds the fan tight to the shaft. Not a fun job to correct, but find out first if the Gen is OK or not.

The idling issues sound like dirty passages/ports in the carb. Takes compressed air and solvent to blow them out. Less likely (I think) might be small vac leaks at the rubber booties or at the head-to-manifold gaskets.

Sorry, no help on finding a shop...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If this is a dual port engine, double check the rubber grommets on the manifoild to end pieces joint. Sometimes hard to see a crack, make shure you check the all the way round. You could also check for vacuum leaks with straight gasoline and a paint brush as per Mercedes Benz factory repair manual.. :)

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

"P.J.Berg" wrote in news:op.ujrf67ke7nga2e@cm-84.208.86.10.getinternet.no:

All vacuum areas have been checked, silicone grommets are installed. That's what makes this just infuriating. I have gone through my Haynes manual to no avail.

I do have the alternator kit for it - so I might just get that installed this weekend just to see if it clears up my 'red light' issue and the noise in the doghouse. Note...I will never deal with SoCal again. Lousy, lousy customer service. I'll stick to MidAmerica.

I'll try this weekend. If it doesn't work, then I'll just ship it up to the Bug Shop in StL.

Reply to
barnhart_pinball