I want a syncro!

Ain't that puurty? I wonder if the owner tossed the wasserboxer for a TDI diesel?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Mark

Reply to
Mark

That rocks! Odd, I've never been a fan of Vanagons. Are those still being brought in in the Pacific northwest? Andy

Reply to
Busman

i hope you have lots of time & no place to be. Vanagons re great hobbies

Reply to
gevans

To paraphrase the Old Sea Captain:

'Tis not a Vanagon -- 'tis a remorseless money-eating machine!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

they are very expensive to MAINTAIN (and buy).

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Just engine swap.. The 1.9L Turbo A3 Diesel Injection Engine seems to be the preferred upgrade.

David Gravereaux

reliable yes economical MAYBE functional not even close!

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Can you put a type1 1600 engine in a vanagon?

Reply to
gevans

yes. You'll get very good at R&Ring engines every 5k miles too.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

The Type 1 1600 is underpowered and undercooled as it is pushing a bay window. Strap one of those into the substantially heavier Vanagon at your own risk.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

John, expound on that idea, please.

Hmm.. F150 double cab is how long in total length? I bet if you look at available floor space on the TriStar and compare it to the F150 you'd find this huge waste forward of the windshield commonly called the hood ;)

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Guess these are only European models and never sold in the states?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

A Vanagon has the same wheelbase as a beetle, and is rated at 1 ton cargo capacity. Every try parking a F150 Double Cab?

I'm saying the F150 is not as functional as the Vanagon/Tri-Star.

John Aircooled.Net >

Reply to
John Connolly

they were also sold in Canada (and are US legal), but these cost a small fortune to acquire and import. Plan on $15-25k for one in good shape.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

There's a syncro doca (not tristar) on Samba right now for $9500 firm and it's gutted with no interior or dashboard:

?phY25yBBXNfk5tEj This one is nice, but not a tristar which lacks the left rear door (along with power everything):
John, yeah tristars are rare.. Probably more rare in the states than an SP-2:
Was a nice dream to see if I could find a tristar.. Ok, back to my beetle project.. I'd better not take on more than one at a time.

Reply to
David Gravereaux