Rear tail light swap on late model Beetle

I have a late model VW Beetle with the elephant style tail lamps. Is it possible to swap these lamps for the 1971 style lamps? Do I have to change the rear wheel wells which I don't mind doing? How involved is the process and is it doable without help?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Need new fenders. Anything 68 and up should do, as long as they aren't the elephant foot type.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I think I'd stay with the bigger lamps just because they ought to be more visible and safer.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

68 t0 72 rear fenders. The 73 had the slots for bumper mounts but went to the newer style tail light. 73 was a "one year" fender, as the tail lights were not actually the same as the 74 I don't think... seems like they were a bit smaller in size, but looked almost like the 74 and ups. I'd look for 71 or 72 fenders myself...
Reply to
MUADIB

Problem is, if he has the big 5mph bumpers found on '74 and later, he's got to give up bumpers in the name of the earlier taillights. He's good to go if he has a '73, but its' a no go if he has a '74 or later car with the "shock absorber" bumpers.

Reply to
ryan68bug