Ignition Switch

Question!

Can't find a key for ignition switch for my dune buggy. It's based on a '66 type III. Finally giving up on keeping it with the stock switch. Can't get the lock cylinder out without the key.

Bought a universal switch just so I'll have a key and a push button starter which was plan A to begin with. I know how to wire the pushbutton in for the starter but anybody got any suggestions for the key switch? I'd like to have an accessory line for the radio and then a run position. The switch I bought has provisions for that. Specifically, which wires coming from the steering collum are what. They are all red.

While you're at it. It was 6v but I'm changing it to 12. For whatever reason, there is a second solenoid wired in back there, it's an old Ford type. I remember reading somewhere, probably in John Muirs book, about doing this but I can't remember why and can't find it in the book. Anybody know?

Thanks, < TC

Reply to
tcrdn11

Download the Type 3 diagram here:

The Ignition switch should have 2 Red wires and 1 Blk wire.

The Red which comes off the Headlight switch is HOT from battery. The other Red goes to the starter solenoid. Blk goes to the Fuseblock and the Coil (there is NO fuse in the circuit to the Coil, the Fuseblock is just a convenient junction).

If you're unsure, use a meter or test lamp to find out which wires are hot and when.

You can get rid of the Ford solenoid (it's 6V anyway). Just run the Red wire directly to the starter solenoid.

Here's a simplified diagram of the Ignition switch:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks, I was hoping you were near your computer. I looked on your website for these diagrams but I must have given up too quick.

Thanks, < TC

Reply to
tcrdn11

I hid that one.