Inspection day... today

*yawn*

Just got back in the house from the garage, it's 5am....

Vehicle inspection and registration (or what most likely will be "first attempt") is at 9... and I got the brakes working.. well to some extent anyway. MAN what a pain.

I spent a good part of the day (yesterday) under the bus, welding. Painted the nose and various filler patches Saturday night, with primer. (Black primer, bus is two tone white/burgundy)

I'm past the point of "tired", so I just started heating up my sauna.

Lord knows I need a bath...... LOL

Soon the agony is over, and I have an answer. I'm at a point where I don't care if it's a yes or no, I just want to know. They will give me a list of things to fix, and I will have one month to show up again and show them I fixed what they requested. The vehicle can NOT be driven until I pass the final stage and get my registration. So.. if it won't pass, I will have until 9th or so to fix it. Then I'm off to Sweden, to attend the BugRun VW show. If the bus isn't legal by then, I'll just drive my Frannie there. (67 bug). Both Frannie and Goth (68 convertible bug) have been there before, now it's bussy's turn.

Wish me luck, and send me NoDoze please. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

If yer gonna take Bussy, you need to have him back here for my summer camping trips! I have a schedule, I guess we could work something out! How big do you think the outriggers should be to keep him floating high enough so water won't get into the tranny vents? Do you know what diameter and pitch prop we can turn with a 2.2 Subaru? You WILL do the rust repair that is needed now, I assume (cuz it's gonna need a helluva lot more after crossing the Atlantic twice!) Maybe you oughta just get that bus you've been working on ready instead! -BH (Good Luck! - been close to there in the past myself)

will be "first

to some

welding.

night, with primer.

up my sauna.

point where I

will give me a

up again and

be driven

if it won't

to Sweden, to

I'll just

(68 convertible

Reply to
Busahaulic

hehehehe ok, ok... you can keep Bussy... I took the Bus With No Name instead.

And it didn't pass.

Thursday morning next week I should be driving it onto a ferry, inspected and street legal... doesn't look good. It's possible, but tough. More later.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

what did they fail you for?

:
Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

1) rust holes in the structural "frame" beams

2) Engine leaks oil

3) incorrect headlight pattern (left)

4) Insufficient tire load range on all 4 (bug tires, I wasn't paying attention)

5) Battery not secured properly (Bungee cords not enough)

6) loose wires in the engine bay, with exposed ends (they no longer lead anywhere, I should have ripped them out)

7) Chassis number missing (I knew that, I now have adequate paperwork)

8) The rubber thingy missing from clutch pedal (Oh gimme a break)

9) Rear brakes not grabbing evenly (60% difference, 30% allowed)

Give me until Friday. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

But did the radio work ?

Randy

RSMEINER

this 4 would be a no pass in chile also...

this two would be a conditional no-pass (need to get several of these for a no pass)

this, they never check :)

no emission testing???

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Cars first registered before 1978 in Finland will have to pass visual emissions test only. That means, you will fail if the engine puffs smoke like a chimney and the inspector is about to=20 suffocate. Otherwise you're ok ;)

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I wanna know how they measure this, just out of curiosity... Yeah, that's it. Just out of curiosity. *cough cough*

Reply to
Shaggie

No :)

It's not hooked up, hehe I just slapped an older radio in there to block the hole.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nope, none whatsoever for cars built in 1977 or earlier.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson
*yawns*

It's 4am, and I just finished replacing the rear brake shoes. Tomorrow I will have to go kayaking a little, then bleed the system once again.

I've run 6 liters of brake fluid through the system in 1-2 months... lol

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Were the hamsters with you ?

Randy

RSMEINER

Nobody?

Reply to
Shaggie

Brake dynamometer.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Do you mean to tell me that y'alls' safety inspections actually do determine if your vehicles are safe for the road or not? Quit pullin' my leg! Around here if the horn honks and the vehicle can be stopped in some fashion and the lights can somehow be made to shine some and there is no visible steel cords sticking out of the tires and you pay the inspection station 4 times what a set of wiper blades are worth for that set of wiper blades even though the set you currently have are in great shape, then you pass inspection. My Jeep just ran out of inspection and since the brakes on it weren't actually *working* I pulled the drums a few minutes ago. I can't give a convincing explanation for exactly how I've been stopping in the Jeep lately after having pulled the drums to inspect the pads or lack thereof. The best word I can think of to describe the condition of the pads is "gone." Only $32 for shoes for all 4 wheels, though. Not bad. I also bought a set of wiper blades to bring with me to the inspection station so that when they tell me the ones installed on the Jeep are worn out and try to sell me new ones I can pull out my brand new ones still in the box and say "Oh, I just happen to have these with me." The trick will be to wait for them to say everything else is ok except the wiper blades... *evil laugh* I can play that game, too. :-D

*rubs hands together evilly like Mr Burns from "The Simpsons"* MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Reply to
Shaggie

Yes, I think so. They check brakes, steering and rust in crucial body parts very carefully. Nowadays they even have a machine to test the shocks (did not have that last year, new laws).

Reply to
Olli Lammi

My shocks would be easy to test. I bumped one of them the other day when I was under the Jeep working on it and noticed I could move it by hand near the lower mount point by almost an inch. Bushing? What's that? heh heh

Reply to
Shaggie

Something to eat? Something your current president does? I'm puzzled.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

The car is driven on rolling drums, like dyno wheels. Which you then try to stop from rolling by using the brakes. Resistance is calculated and results compared left/right.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson