IRS???

Im new to volkswagens, so bare with me on these couple of questions. I cant seem to figure out what exactly you guys are considering independent rear suspension. Having only really worked on older cars, chevys, mopars, etc... I can tell the difference between solid and independent rear ends, but having recently acquired a 64 beetle i have been informed that it is in fact NOT a independent rear even though i can plainly see the two axles moving independent of each other. I actually got in a bit of an argument over it with a friend. A solid rear is very identifiable and my volkswagen definitly doesn't have this setup, someone please explain??????

Reply to
dustin

..............All bugs have four wheel independent suspensions. Up until '68, the rear set-up was a pivoting wheel & axle that as a unit was solid except for where it was attached to the transmission. Later models have a double jointed rear axle set-up where the axles have CV joints mating with both the transmission and the wheel. It's common to refer to early types as swing axle and later types as IRS but you're right, they're all actually IRS.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

up to and including most 68' models VW used a single-jointed "Swing-axle" design. some 68' (automatic stick shift) and 69-up used a double jointed axle with a Semi-Trailing-Arm suspension. Both of ARE Independent Rear Suspensions people just have just hung the label "I.R.S." (independent rear susp.) on the later trailing arm setup only.

That help any??? Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Kick your friend repeatedly in the groin as you scream "i told you so, i told you so"...he will love you for it....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

IRS is considered on cars that use CV joints and drive shafts in the rear. I think the independentness is in the fact that the rear wheels move straight up and down. On the swing axle that you have the rear wheels move in an arc and pivot around the transmission. Technically, you are right. In both models each wheel moves independent of the other. They are not connected like a car with a rear end/differential system or beam. The IRS rear end is supposedly a better handling system and the swing axle is better for performance applications since the driveshafts and transmission are much stronger. I'm sure that all of these statements can be debated.

Reply to
Brian Turner

You're doing just fine. :-)

Introduce your friend to the dictionary definition of "independant". Rip out that page, roll it up and whack him on the nose with it repeatedly.

;-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton