Is the super beetle "inspection cover" structural?

Just wondering if can remove it and just use a flat plate to close the hole? I need the space for the oil cooler stuff. Actually, I will be removing it... What am I risking?

David Gravereaux

...the dealerships tossed them when they added AC..so I think you are safe enough.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

All pieces on the VW Beetle are crucial to the structual integrity so don't compromise that integrity by removing factory parts.

Shaggie

Bwaa haa.. nice setup for that joke.

One thing nice about a Jeep (or any front engine car) is plenty of room for a REAL exhaust system. There's just no room in a VW...

Last night I was test fitting the left side silencer that fits under the wheel well, and oh damnit.. the remote filter is going to need some bracket mod work.. Maybe it'll be an either/or thing..

Ok, either/or.. Hmm.. let's wait for engine to be in and exhaust fitted, then mount the remote filter once I know the space.. Grrr.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Ok, tnks. Here's my replacement for it (just to conclude):

Two 1/2" oil lines for send and return will be coming out there. I tried this rather beefy looking brass anchor coupling, but was just overkill and thankfully I haven't cut the lines yet. The 1 1/8" hole fit the grommets, too:

Here's the view from the back where it will enter the tunnel:

I stole the grommets from the engine compartment for the two lines that connect to the charcoal canister. I'll stop by the junk yard and pick off another four later.

Reply to
David Gravereaux