It is official, The Univerial Company(Industries) are no longer producing the Tiger CDI.

Finally got a reply from them today:

Sir, we are in operation however we are not selling the CDI anymore. You might try looking on J C Whitney web site for different brand of CDI.

-----Original Message----- From: P.J.Berg [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@getmail.no] Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:39 PM To: snipped-for-privacy@universal-co.com; snipped-for-privacy@universal-co.com; snipped-for-privacy@universal-co.com; snipped-for-privacy@universal-co.com Subject: Are you still in operation?

Dear sirs.

I have tried to contact your company on several occasions without any reply. I will give a last go here.

Is it still possible to purchase the CDI ignition systems? If so, how do I go about ordering one?

Sincerely. P.J.Berg. Oslo, Norway.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Dead serious question. (I'm a retired engineer, EE, who was building CDI systems before they become a commercial item).

What's the demand and what would someone be willing to pay per unit (for a mom and pop production level) for either kits or fully functional CDI units that would work on both 6 and 12 volt systems?

Reply to
NotMe

dead serious answer:

these are vw people you are talking about, in general: If you build a good quality product and make it reliable and easy to use, then price it fairly you'll have 10,000 people claiming to want it, and 7 of them will purchase it... Now if you build a piece of shit that looks like the latest *BLING* then double the price of it compared to the quality one, you'll sell 15,000 of them...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Well, if you look at the Mallory Hyfire 6A it retails for 145,-USD, so you would have to aim lower than that, probably would be cost prohibitive to build one yourself??

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

: > Dead serious question. (I'm a retired engineer, EE, who was building CDI : > systems before they become a commercial item). : >

: > What's the demand and what would someone be willing to pay per unit (for a : > mom and pop production level) for either kits or fully functional CDI : > units : > that would work on both 6 and 12 volt systems? : >

: >

: : dead serious answer: : : these are vw people you are talking about, in general: : If you build a good quality product and make it reliable and easy to use, : then price it fairly you'll have 10,000 people claiming to want it, and 7 of : them will purchase it... Now if you build a piece of shit that looks like : the latest *BLING* then double the price of it compared to the quality one, : you'll sell 15,000 of them...

Been in R&D (some for NASA) for decades and manufacturing for almost as long. Functionality and reliability are what drive my wagon. I leave the fancy packaging to the troops in marketing.

I can do one off but the cost are typically too high these days even for my own wheels (I sold my last Bug, a 71SB, this time last year) as buying small quantity parts is too expensive.

Off the top of my head I'd have to do runs of 100 or more to make it work if a ready made. Kits would likely need to be 40 or 50 units due to the need to order minimum parts to get a decent price break.

Reply to
NotMe

one additional question: could you add an adjustable rev limiter?

Reply to
Jan Andersson