backfire + loss of power

Don't think they're related.

Engine revving = clutch slipping OR axle splines worn off in the drum.

Backfire only intermittent sounds like an ignition problem. Can be as simple as a loose connection in the coil primary circuit. Intermittent coil, cross-firing between plug wires or cap is also possible. If you have vacuum advance, inspect the little flex pigtail wire which grounds the advance plate inside the distrib.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hi,

My '72 SB (1600 AD engine) has been running fine for a year or so, but lately I am having a couple of problems.

First, it is backfiring quite frequently, and sometimes I even get to see the light of the flame that comes out of the exhaust. I already adjusted the valves, changed the sparkplugs and plan to change the exhaust.

Second when on the highway on 4th gear and above 2000 revs. if I press the accelerator I can hear the engine revving, but no inmediate increase of speed, I may have to wait for 3-4 secs to feel it, when before it was the response of the engine was much quicker.

May these two problems be related? they appeared at the same time (more or less) Any clue?

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

I would consider checking the fuel system, a lean condition will cause backfire.

Reply to
Douglas

Make sure the manifold rubber boots are not cracked or broken and leaking air into the fuel mixture.

Reply to
Funkie

Clutch Slipping..................And Afterfire, not Backfire.

Yeah I know It's in the back, but it is "after the combustion process" so it is an afterfire.

That Noise is likely caused by a small hole in your exhaust somehwhere near the entry to the Muffler/collector.............And is the unburned fuel , combining with a little extra air that would not normally be there, making a nice mixture that ignites with the heat of the edge of the hole ,which is hotter than it would be if it were not an edge..............heat tends to gather at any acute point in metal much better than say ,............out on the middle of a flat part, kinda like a soldering iron.............the hottest part being the edge/tip.

I know ,.....I know,........More ramblings from Scott,..............It's an attempt at the laymans terms thing.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Hi, thanks for the info. Some of you have suggested clutch slipping, but I find funny that it doesn't slip at low revs, only above 2000, can this happen? if so, how do I solve this, cluth replacement?

Ant

MUADIB? wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant