Lead Additive

I've been using a lead additive for a while and it's been fine but I'm wondering if it's possible to put too m uch lead into your fuel tank? Could this hurt my '68 bug?

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Bibbo

Is that a low miles original engine, or one that has been rebuilt?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Why do you use a lead additive? Have you had valve problems?

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Everyones fear of valve and head damage after lead was removed from gas appears to have been premature. There haven't been widespread reports of problems as had been predicted. Gasoline engines that work hard like those in trucks may have had some problems. Many of the lead substitue additives disappeared from the market years ago.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

I thought that "new" heads/valves are hard enough anyway and won't need lead?

Reply to
Remco

Yep! I run unleaded for 10 years and last year when I rebuilt the engine, the valve guides were fine.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

That's right, heads built by VW of Germany at least, since 1965 or so.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yep, heat will kill the heads, not lack of lead.

href="

"Den'sDogs

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

All original, low miles engine. The mechanic I use suggested it and it seemed like a good idea at the time. But now I'm curious, can the lead be a detriment ot the engine? Can you use too much lead?

Reply to
Steve Bibbo

Use as instructed on the bottle, and no more. You'll be fine. No harm whatsoever.

Jan

Steve Bibbo wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Usually the additives tend to isolate the spark plugs. Also you can save that money to buy some beer :-)

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

ESSO ads used to say "put a tiger in your tank", but you put beer in your tank, Jo=E3o? :)

Reply to
Remco

LOL yes in my tank! Not in my beetles tank.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu