VW Sightings Today

While returning from a Thanksgiving trip to North Carolina and back to Pensacola ( 10.5 hrs one way ) . I passed a purple 1968 VW Sedan on I-85 just south of Atlanta, Ga and later observed a very rat looking ( rusty and no bumpers )'69 or '70 VW bus traveling eastbound on I-65 just south of Montgomery, Al. The only ACVW's I saw on the whole 1,000 + mile trip. Unfortunately, I was in my foreign car ( 2003 Saturn Wagon ) so no bonding could be made :( Still it gets my blood to pumping at a higher rpm when I see these brave lads pushing these old birds down the Highway Of Life !! Hope everyone had a great weekend / Holiday !

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida '78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" ) '76 Bug "The Grape" '69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

Wild Bill Tucker

Bill, I know the feeling...Just last week I pulled up to a light on my way to Home Depot and lo and behold an identical 71 or 72 SB pulls up alongside...Unfortunately, I too, was in my other car (needed more cargo space) so no bonding for me either...Imagine two yellow 72 SBs pulling up to the same light...What are the chances of that nowadays....I go months without a sighting.

Would have been cool if I had driven my daily driver.

Juan

Reply to
Juan

Bill, I know the feeling...Just last week I pulled up to a light on my way to Home Depot and lo and behold an identical 71 or 72 SB pulls up alongside...Unfortunately, I too, was in my other car (needed more cargo space) so no bonding for me either...Imagine two yellow 72 SBs pulling up to the same light...What are the chances of that nowadays....I go months without a sighting.

Would have been cool if I had driven my daily driver.

Juan

Reply to
Juan

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Yesterday, I saw a T2 (split window). It rained a lot this weekend so I didn't drive my beetle :( I can see a lot of them when the weather is good.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Wild Bill Tucker) wrote:

Joao

Joao Eliseu

while I was driving it. Hell, I was driving

are different models, but there are

That's funny -- I haven't seen a bug over the last week. Did see a bus, though. When it was warmer, that was different. I did see a two tone (black/purple) Citroen CV2 'deux cheveux' driving by while I was filling up in Stratford CT. That wasn't you, was it? :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

while I was driving it. Hell, I was driving

they are different models, but there are

Reply to
Ben Boyle

got it right after it came here from

Oh, I believe you. Was just kidding about seeing you :) They are cool little cars.

while I was driving it. Hell, I was

they are different models, but there are

Reply to
Remco

I got it right after it came here from

ACVW while I was driving it. Hell, I was

they are different models, but there are

Reply to
Ben Boyle

availability is almost as good as

that stock all the major stuff and any

Both my brother and brother in law had CV2s. They liked them because the CV2 is pretty easily maintained and pretty reliable transportation if well maintained. They are called "ugly ducks"(translated) in the Netherlands, with very good reason. They are so ugly that they are pretty :)

One of my cousins had one of the more advanced mid 60 Citroens - the one with the long hood, large headlights, adjustable height and suspension from within the cabin. We called them 'Pikes' (like the fish), translated. Really nice looking car - very stylish. Was not known for its reliability, from what I remember.

A Citroen? Well, who knows? Maybe after my bug is back together.. My wife has told me to not even look at another rust bucket until that's done. :)

I got it right after it came here from

ACVW while I was driving it. Hell, I was

Admittedly they are different models, but there

Reply to
Remco

Hey Bill,

Where in NC were you. I was driving around in my green '71 on T'day and Friday between Winston-Salem and Greensboro.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tosi

Remco,

Do you refer to the DS? Very nice ánd od (nowadays) The hydrolic lift was a nightmare though. The overpriced BMW and Merc are so proud of their inovated 'turning headlights'. Pfffftt, Citroen used them already in the late '60 early '70's

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Yup, that's the one. Looked it up just now and found it here:

(of course a Dutchwebsite, huh :). Now that I am looking at it again, my cousin's probably was a 68 because he had the larger headlights. Nice looking car, very innovative but also way too complicated.

Yeah, you're right: BMW/Mercedes think they invented the turning headlights. That the French had it working over 40 years ago has gotta sting :) Of course, leave it to the Germans to get it to work flawlessly all the time.

It might be odd now, but in the 60s and 70s you'd see them quite a bit over there.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

--WebTV-Mail-26228-11617 Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit

David Tosi Wrote:Hey Bill, Where in NC were you. I was driving around in my green '71 on T'day and Friday between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Fweem. Dave

Reply to
Wild Bill Tucker

Hey Wild Bill,

I was at Billy Bob's on Friday late morning!!!

Go to our website "goodolevolks.com" and see who and what we do.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tosi

Dave, I had breakfast there on Sat. My Uncle Bill Whitlow knows Bob the owner of Billy Bob's real well. They were both talking about a recent gathering of VW's. It's a small VW world isn't it? I'll checkout your site. : )

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida '78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" ) '76 Bug "The Grape" '69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

Wild Bill Tucker

parts availability is almost as good as

US that stock all the major stuff and any

because I got it right after it came here from

ACVW while I was driving it. Hell, I was

Admittedly they are different models, but there

Reply to
Ben Boyle

them. I think they were relatively

Yup -- it was definitely a DS. I think the problem with most those more advanced cars was that people weren't used to them and maintenance was ignored.

The Citroen DS made it over here, then? I don't think I've ever seen one here..

parts availability is almost as good as

the US that stock all the major stuff and

because I got it right after it came here

another ACVW while I was driving it. Hell, I was

Admittedly they are different models, but there

Reply to
Remco

Hey next time you here, give me a call. I'd be in the book living in Pfafftown. We could get together and swap stories.

Have a great holiday season.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to