Need a second opinion...

Well, no dice I'm afraid. I loosened up the fan housing and the genny strap and pushed the housing back to where it needed to be and fitted the aircleaner on. I then slowly tightened the genny strap back down but there was still a good quarter inch gap between the genny and its mount when the fan was rubbing so badly against its housing that it could hardly turn. So its not going to be that straightforward unfortunately. When I look at the carb from the side I can see a distinct dip towards the front of the vehicle, its just not level and this is what's causing the problem - the crappy manifold. This is the last time I ever try and put any Brazilian junk on the car. I've managed to source a stock manifold with clear heat risers locally so I'm going to go with that instead. I've spent too long cleaning and detailing the engine to take shortcuts with it now, its worth doing right. I may try bolting the Brazilian manifold to the bench and straightening it out, maybe it'll have some resale value. Or I may just hang it up as an example.

Reply to
Dangermouse

Thank you, but unless you are in the UK it might be a problem!

I frequently see them for sale at shows, but it is hard to find an original VW one that hasn't rusted around the heat risers.

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

Reply to
Kafertoys

$25 + shipping And I'll send you an original German manifold that has clear tubes

Mario V> > I'm going to give your suggestion a

ned up the fan housing and the genny

Reply to
Kafertoys

Epilogue to this story...

Removed Brazilian manifold; replaced with an original VW part with clear risers all nicely sandblasted and painted; fits perfectly and all clearance issues resolved. When viewed side by side (VW vs. Brazilian), its pretty obvious where the problem arose, the throat of the Brazilian part is completely off at the wrong angle. Its probably bendable to fit properly but this would have to be done before fitting. I'll chalk it up to experience.

keywords for future searchers: intake manifold, clearance, air cleaner, Brazilian, crappy.

Reply to
Dangermouse