New carburettor- At least for me.

I was able to get this carburettor, but it is completely dirty. I check it and have no play on the shaft.

What is the best way to clean it? Can I sand blaster it?

Jo=E3o

72 Super 1302 (1600DP)
Reply to
joao_eliseu

NEVER!

Dismantle & soak in carb cleaner (ie, methylene chloride). See any of the many previous posts covering carb cleaning.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

I see most mechanics here use thinner to clean carbs. Is it correct to do that? can thinner damage some of the parts?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Wow, Jo=E3o - that carb looks like it has been on the bottom of the ocean, along with my frame :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Thanks for you replay. I took the carb home because the guy that was going to clean it for me was going to sand blaster it. I arrived just on time :-)

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

LOL you here just waiting for an opportunity :-) It was in a T2 but I don't have any idea here the T2 was. They replace this carb by dual dellorto's I removed must of the outside dirt with a can of carb cleaner and a brush. Now I will disassemble it and clean it better piece by piece. I will search by posts on this topic. Today I went for a ride on my beetle. You can see some pictures of Portugal that I took today

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

" was able to get this carburettor, but it is completely dirty. I check it and have no play on the shaft.

What is the best way to clean it? Can I sand blaster it? "

I wouldn't sandblast it. I would imagine you'd have a hard time removing the sand from the internal passages. I would take it all apart and soak it in a gallon of carb cleaner(I use the stuff made by berryman). It stinks like hell so don't get it on your skin. After you get it clean hopefully you'll be able to shake it and hear the check ball in the accelerator pump passage rattle. It needs to be free to move around.

If all is well then blow it all out with compressed air and give it the wd-40 check. Spray into the passages and see that all of the holes(especially those in the idle drillings near the throttle plate) show some fluid coming through. You will also want to change the jets/emulsion tube to match what the bentley manual calls for on your specific vehicle. I got a few junker carbs for cheap and salvaged jets from them to build mine.

Bob Hoover wrote a good article on repairing the solex carburetors a while back. You should search for it and give it a read. I used his procedure and everything worked perfect when I was all done with the job. You're quite lucky to get a decent condition genuine VW carb, I've only seen a couple and they were always beat all to hell.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Throw it away. The crap you have to use to clean it is such friggin toxic throw-away you may as well buy something new and just forget it.

Reply to
unowho

Yup, I was just being patient, waiting for an opportunity to use the "bottom of the ocean" reference -- I knew you'd catch it. :)

Those pix are beautiful. Sounds like you had a nice ride. Can't wait for mine to get in a driveable shape.

Reply to
Remco

Yup, I was just being patient, waiting for an opportunity to use the "bottom of the ocean" reference -- I knew you'd catch it. :)

Those pix are beautiful. Sounds like you had a nice ride. Can't wait for mine to get in a driveable shape.

Reply to
Remco

Hi Chris

I read a few posts on berryman cleaner but I can't find it here in Portugal. I can find a bootles of 4 liters of WD40 put I think that it wouldn't be enough.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Hi João

Diesel isn't bad at cleaning engine parts. I haven't tried it on carbs though.

Rich

I read a few posts on berryman cleaner but I can't find it here in Portugal. I can find a bootles of 4 liters of WD40 put I think that it wouldn't be enough.

João

Reply to
tricky

Hi Rich,

I would like to put it shining :-) and it will be impossible using Diesel. I will call to a guy that worked on VW for 35 years. He will know what to do. He cleaned the air filter for me and I notice a huge difference. I was just trying to avoid calling him.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

"I read a few posts on berryman cleaner but I can't find it here in Portugal. I can find a bootles of 4 liters of WD40 put I think that it wouldn't be enough. "

The last time I was at checker auto parts they had a couple different brands of gallon container carburetor soak. I only used berryman because it came recommended by someone else and it has a 'seal' on the top that is designed to keep the solution from evaporating. I'm not sure if the other brands do this. Basically they put some other chemical into the can with the carb cleaner that will form a layer on top of the solution.

You could probably get away with any brand so long as you have a large enough container to completely cover the main body and top cover. You could try going the spray carb-cleaner way and try to direct the spray into every single passageway, but I've personally had better results by letting the casting soak for a day or two.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Read Mr.Hoover's(Veeduber) reply above and you will know what to use..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

yep, methylene chloride in portuguese cloreto de metileno

IT IS NASTY!!!

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Eggsactly, it is either that or an ultrasonic bath, can you afford that?? I looked into it a few years ago, you do seriously not want to hear the prices of the good stuff at the right size...

Ok, it is affordable but not for a one time job..

J.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

ultrasonic bath!?!?!?!?! Could you explain it better?

Today, I disassembled the carburetor. Look the inside!

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Hi Bob,

Do you think that's good idea to remove everything from that dirty carb. I'm talking about choke shaft, throttle shat, etc.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

clean it up real good only to find out that the only thing that was keeping the shaft bore from leaking was dirt, and the damn thing is actually just as worn as every other stock carb out there? :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson