non tapered front spindles

small question... when rebuilding the front end on my 61 this weekend, I expected (from all the pics and drawing on the manuals) to find a tapered spindle and the inboard bearing race pressed on the spindle.

Instead, I found an almost cilindrical spindle, with no taper at all, and the inboard bearing race pressed into the drum. All 4 drums (two on the car, two from a donor) had exactly the same bearings, and the bearings fit perfectly on the new drums, so I guess its ok, but I still am a bit puzzled... any hints?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski