Normal/FI sheetmetal compatibility

OK...so I have a slight dilema. I just picked up a 77 bug for parts, was planning on using the side engine seal mounts to repair my 67, only they are different. Since the 77 was FI and the 67 is not, I assume that's why.

I am wondering if I can use the FI head tin with non-FI pieces to get a proper seal around the engine compartment. Will the FI pieces get in the way of a set of dual webers or dells?

I am entertaining the though of running a type 4 engine when I get that far, so I will have to fab some of my sheetmetal anyway...but in the event I use a type 1 base, it would prolly be easier to mix and match.

Thanks.

Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw

FI engines are dual port, while 67 was a single port. There are differences in the hole configuration by the sparks plugs and intake mountings. As far as Webers, some else who has them may be able to tell. You can always try to modify the tin to fit your needs. but always seal any openings. You need the air around the cylinders not the engine compartment.

Reply to
Mel P.

The engine that will be going back in will be a dual port of some kind. I was more interested in the actual shape of the panels that the side seals mount to. Thanks for your reply, it did point out something I missed.

Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw