Oil and Rubber

Hello everybody,

I just found a spare fan belt in the engine compartment of my bus :-D

I'm more than slightly happy, I consider it a vital spare that I hadn't got round to buying!However, it was in the second battery tray on the left hand side of the engine, along with a bottle of multigrade (synthetic?) oil. 10-30w SAE I think, Texaco brand, I'll go check if it makes any difference in this case...

Some of the oil has leaked from the bottle (or maybe another bottle previously) and got on the belt. Will this harm it, or should I just wipe it down and forget about it? Will oil damage the rubber? Or will it do for a spare in an emergency?

Many Thanks

Anto.

"A month of owning my bus is a month full of surprises"

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

The oil could've soaked into the rubber, and could cause slippage. I would trust it only as a limited use spare. But try wiping with some brake parts cleaner to remove oil and grease, you should be able to find it a your local auto parts store.

-- Ryan Moore aka"69bajabug" '69 Ex-Autostick Beetle '69 BAJA Bug

Ryan Moore

Reply to
Antony Hutchison