Okay, what's under the New Beetle?

House next door sold and new neighbor moved in and saw my Bugs and said, "I have a VW, too. It's a Jeta."

It's a New Beetle.

So maybe she's being kind and smarter than me? Is the New Beetle really on a Jeta chassis?

nope...its a golfball...round golf....guess it'll be a fat rabbit next year, eh?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i thought i heard that new beetle is based on the same chasis as Jetta or Golf?

ant> > House next door sold and new neighbor moved in and saw my Bugs and said,

Reply to
anton

First off, you arew in the wrong newsgroup. Watercooled VW talk belongs in the WATERCOOLED VW group, not here.

Second, the New Beetle is built on Golf 4 chassis.

Third, it's actually spelled Jetta ;)

j wrote:

Reply to
Kidd

Reply to
Ben Boyle

You are Da Man, Joey. Thanks for that. So she is stupid and so WAS I!

I dunno, my man, but I care less and less about anything made since I last cleaned out the 'fridge.

Hey, what better group of people to ask than ACVW types? You expect any waterheads to care a damn about vehicles made before they were born?

Ten points deducted from your exit-life Karma.

Tsk, tsk...

Aw, now I'm really confused. So the neighbor was right? A '98 New Beetle is on a Jetta chassis? Come on, my friends, there's a precious beer bet in this deal! Ya GOTTA respect beer!

not so quick....i may not be as informed as i thought....i thought the golf and jetta were similar but was under the impression that the jetta was a modified form of the golf chassis while the NB was using the *same* platform...seems that according to other posters i may be off a bit...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Neither on is on a "chassis", they're both unibody construction. They are both the same A4 platform.

a Jetta chassis? Come on, my friends, there's a

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

you can call it a platform or you can call it a chassis....in the unibody construction it is a moot point...even in the unibody form they are putting different bodies on the same chassis....or platform if you prefer...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

At least up to the A3 platform Golfs and Jettas are only different from the rear door aft. If you lift the carpet on the trunk you'll see clearly where the extension is welded to make a Golf into a Jetta. Basically an ugly weld on the floor to extend the trunk.

All the rest of the floor is identical.

Reply to
Eduardo K.