OT $100 calculator for school!?!?

You sell yours back? No me! I have all of mine! (For whatever use they may be, dunno!)

Reply to
John Kuthe

But measuring the circumference or calculating it via C=pi*D still neglects tire deflection from the weight of the car on the tire, leading to error!

:-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

As an out-of-work-for-a-year-now computer engineer, that statement spells "opportunity" for me! :-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:27:13 GMT, John Kuthe left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

No, that would be stupid. They could write one in BASIC in 3-5 minutes if they had a clue. Do you know what the "B" in BASIC stands for? "Beginners'" It's not hard to learn. When I took calculus and advanced math in my senior year of high school, my teacher (great teacher, by the way) would have me hop up and type up a quick BASIC program to plot out a function for the class once a week or so. It's trivial.

I think it would be more useful than having them use a calculator that's already set up to do it. At least if they write a program to do it then they're learning something.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

Sometimes I do... Dont have a lot of room at my apartment for a million books, and sometimes I need the cash for FOOD :-0

If I need to look something up, I can always look online or go to the library.

Reply to
BugMan

Me too..

Before long, Microsoft will be making pacemaker software and life support system Operating Systems... (If that didn't make you lose sleep, what will..)

Aieeee!

Jan

Reply to
Jan

You guys!!

In 9th grade we had acomputer classes too.. the classroom only had one printer, located next to the teacher.. you know the old type matrix printers that use chain paper. All the workstations in teh classroom shared the same printer.

Anyways... one smartass wrote a tiny script that would signal the printer to do "paper feed" over and over and over again.. and ran it. LOL

Jan

Reply to
Jan

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:28:22 GMT, John Kuthe ran around screaming and yelling:

almost as bad as someone that quotes the previous two complete messages complete with signatures? J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:33:30 GMT, John Kuthe left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Yano, no. Someone already posted that one of the best things about these calculators was that they will solve the equations for you, not just plot them out. Have you seen the manuals that come with these things? They'd need to devote a few weeks of class time just to get through the damn manual. Might as well be a class in computer programming, since what they're doing with these calculators is actually programming them and these calculators are just small computers, yano? The only thing they are "supplanting" is the actual learning of algebra. Yeah, "Iknow."

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:43:53 GMT, John Kuthe ran around screaming and yelling:

was just yanking your chain...no biggie...kinda like when someone busts someones balls for their spelling and butchers a few words in the process...LOL J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

...................I've actually met a guy who's involved in developing one of these systems............he was from Wisconsin. Let's not get too carried away with this 'theory' that America is losing its technological competitiveness because of things like on-line checking account programs being written in Bombay. There's more skilled computer talent in places like that 'golden triangle' near Raleigh than in any other place overseas........far more.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I bought my girlfriend son a ti 83 for his jr year of high school and then someone stole it. Now he needs a 159 + graphing calculator as he is starting engineering school.

Reply to
Hallnashe