OT: air compressor

I picked up used Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor. When I was getting ready to set it up I put in 20-50 Castrol and my buddy about flipped saying the pump would burn up with this oil.

Anybody know here have any experience with these compressors?

Tony

Reply to
TonyW

This site says 30wt non-detergent

Robert

Thanx. The C-H is having problems and I couldn't get the manual to down load. Now I have to find a local source for this oil...

Tony

Reply to
TonyW

Why not use 30 HD oil until you can find 30 non detergent oil?

Reply to
Jim Ed

The unique requirement of non-detergent oil for the compressor has jacked up the price for this fundamentally crap oil. You can pay from $2.50 to $11.00 for a half-quart. Drop by Home Depot and grab the cheap stuff and be happy.

Reply to
John Stafford

OH, FWIW, last winter (Minnesota), my wife's car got a very low tire overnight and the idiot I am - I fired up the small air compressor and it seized immediately. Dunno what happened, but it works today. I run Mobil-1 in that one. Sure didn't help.

Reply to
John Stafford

I did, just that last night. I ended up paying $2.50 a pint for this stuff only to find out the compressor has a blown head gasket on one side. Now I have to pull the compressor apart to see how bad it really is...

Tony

Reply to
TonyW

I was finally able to get a maintenance manual to download and it says Mobile one is the only motor oil recommended. Funny thing is I always thought this stuff was crap...

Tony

Reply to
TonyW

Mobil-1 is all I have used in any air-cooled engine including a '56 Harley, '58 Bug and the 2165cc hot rod ACVW. It's good stuff.

Reply to
John Stafford

I'll try a can the next time I need it for my compressor but I'll remain wary about putting it in my engines. I guess I'm too geezerly to change at this point...

Tony

Reply to
TonyW

I am 64 years-old. Are you more geezer than me?

Reply to
John Stafford

they say you are only as old as you feel.... some days I'm going on 95!!!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Nope, less actually but I think it's a state of mind... :o)

Tony

Reply to
TonyW

Sometimes I feel like 120 before I've had a pain pill. About 30 years ago a drunk SOB ran into the back of my motorcycle while I was riding. The MF're was going about 20 MPH faster than me. Needless to say my life has never been the same.

Anyway I need to pull the head off that damn air compressor to fix a leak. I think it's going to be the hot ticket to power my soda blaster when it's up and working right.

Tony

Reply to
TonyW