OT: computer temperature extremis?

This might be a dumb question but I want to put a desktop pc in the trunk of my daughter's car tonight so that she'll be ready to leave for college tomorrow morning. The question is: Will the forecasted low tonight of 5 to

10 deg. F. be any kind of problem for the monitor, pc boards or other components?
Reply to
Tim Rogers

Could be a problem for anything with LCD. I have had them freeze, never to work again and I have had them weather the cold just fine, so I suspect there has been some improvement over the years. What froze was the LCD display on a fairly old Cobra CB radio. Some of the segments went away, never to be seen again! I can't think of anything else that might be a problem.

pc in the trunk of

for college

tonight of 5 to

boards or other

Reply to
Busahaulic

Just let it all come up to room temperature before plugging in.

Reply to
Douglas

| This might be a dumb question but I want to put a desktop pc in the trunk of | my daughter's car tonight so that she'll be ready to leave for college | tomorrow morning. The question is: Will the forecasted low tonight of 5 to | 10 deg. F. be any kind of problem for the monitor, pc boards or other | components?

The HDD drive needs to come to ambient slowly. If you take a very cold HDD into a warm room the moisture may condense inside the HDD. If the puter is turned on before the water evaporates it can trash the HDD.

One option is to put a 50-100 watt trouble light in the trunk and plug it in.

Reply to
Not Me

..............Thanks for the advice guys. I'll tell my daughter to let it sit overnight after she gets it to her apartment before she starts it up.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Let them warm up slowly when they get to their destination, to avoid moisture buildup. i.e. do not bring them from the cold to a warm place for "as fast as possible" warmup.

Fast changes in humidity and temperature are bad.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

put the computer in the car, and do your driving. But when you get to your destination, put the computer. and monitor, in plastic bags and seal them with tape. Then bring them inside. That will seal the dry air inside. Moisture might condense on the outside of the bags during warmup, but no excess moisture will get to the machine. (resisting the urge to pun about 'computer freeze')

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

"Tim Rogers" wrote in news:btsvit$b7ol6$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-46866.news.uni-berlin.de:

Just zap 'em in the microwave when you get there.

Reply to
cloud8

I was thinking gas grill...

Reply to
Shane

I hadn't until now, seeing your reply. Dang! I need to bring mine indoors, it's covered in snow!!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Along with the other advise -- the best being to leave the devices in the room and unplugged until they have had an hour or so to stabilize -- purchase an inexpensive UPS (battery backup) and insist that be connected to the computer. Rather than just a surge protector plug-in strip.

Reply to
Jerry Johnson

.................Thanks for all of the advice guys. She moved it into her apt. Monday night and then let it sit for 48 hours. A little while ago this evening, she hooked everything up and it worked OK without any problems. Now, I've got to decide whether I want to pay for that broadband connection that she wants..............sigh.

..........Maybe I should try to bargain with her and see if she'd consider getting rid of the purple, pink & orange hair. She had beautiful natural blond hair until about two years ago. I give her college tuition, room & board, my nissan altima, a 27" television with a DVD player, a desktop pc, she's making my hair get thin & gray, she's going for a master's degree in art therapy, she says that she'll come visit me in the nursing home that she's going to put me in someday, I told her that I wasn't going to last that long............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Send her a picture of how you dressed in the 70's, and tell her you thought you were the coolest cat in town... then.

Mike.

P.S. provided you wern't a marine at the time.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Tsk! Haven't we already had this discussion??

Kidd "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson